IDM - how to increase downloading thread number

In summary, the conversation suggests that the IDM team recommends not changing the thread count to more than 8 as it may be considered offensive by some servers and lead to rejected server requests. However, if the user still wishes to change the thread count, they can visit the provided link for instructions.
Pepper Mint
Every time my IDM (internet download manager) starts, I see only 8 threads running. How can I run 32 threads at the same time ? :biggrin: Thanks IDM super users and developers.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Pepper Mint said:
Every time my IDM (internet download manager) starts, I see only 8 threads running. How can I run 32 threads at the same time ? :biggrin: Thanks IDM super users and developers.
I suggest that you don't change it to no more than 8 threads. Because some servers might find more threads other than 8 will be offensive and they might reject server requests. Whereas the IDM team suggests that users should not change the thread count. Or if you still wish to change go to http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/register/new_faq/functions8.html page.

Likes Pepper Mint

1. How do I increase the downloading thread number in IDM?

To increase the downloading thread number in IDM, follow these steps:

• Open IDM and click on the "Options" tab.
  • In the "Connection" tab, increase the "Maximum number of connections" value.
  • Click "OK" to save the changes.

2. What is the recommended number of downloading threads for IDM?

The recommended number of downloading threads for IDM depends on your internet connection speed and the server's capacity. It is generally recommended to have 8 to 10 threads for a fast and stable download.

3. Can increasing the downloading thread number improve download speed?

Yes, increasing the downloading thread number in IDM can improve download speed. This is because multiple threads can simultaneously download different parts of a file, making the download process faster.

4. Are there any risks associated with increasing the downloading thread number in IDM?

Increasing the downloading thread number in IDM does not pose any risks. However, if the thread number is set too high, it may cause the download to fail or slow down due to server restrictions.

5. How can I check the downloading thread number in IDM?

To check the downloading thread number in IDM, right-click on the download and select "Properties." The number of threads currently being used will be displayed under the "Connection" section.