1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If (a,b,c) is a Basis of R3 , Does (a+b,b+c,c+a) also a Basis of R3

1. Jul 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Well the same as the subject..
    (a,b,c) is a Basis of [tex]R^{3}[/tex]
    does (a+b , b+c , c+a) Basis to [tex]R^{3}[/tex]

I have another question ..
    is (a-b , b-c , c-a) Basis to [tex]R^{3}[/tex]
    This is know is not true because if I use e1, e2 , e3 I got a error line.

2. Relevant equations
    start of liner algebra one.

3. The attempt at a solution

I assume that this is true..
    I think something like that.. Because (a,b,c)_ base of [tex]R^{3}[/tex] its means that I can get to a step matrix (Row echelon form)
    and the same with (b,c,a) and then I can just add them and get to any soultion that I want... But maybe I'm wrong?
    Thank you.

Can I write base instead of Basis ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Attacking questions like this is one of the reasons you learn about things like "row spaces", "Gaussian elimination", and "coordinates relative to a basis".
  4. Jul 17, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

I would be inclined to just use the fact that three vectors form a basis for a three dimensional space if and only if they are independent- and use the definition of "independent".
    a+ b, b+ c, and a+ c form a basis for R3 if and only if the only values of x, y, and z that make x(a+ b)+ y(b+ c)+ z(a+ c)= 0 are x= y= z= 0. Re write that as expressions in x, y, and z times "a", "b", and "c" separately and use the fact that a, b, and c are independent.
  5. Jul 17, 2010 #4

Homework Helper

Presumably by (a,b,c) is a basis for R^3, you mean that the vectors (1,0,0), (0,1,0) and (0,0,1) form a basis for R^3, it seems that the question is asking you if (1,0,1), (1,1,0) and (0,1,1) form a basis for R^3. The question is then can you find three non-zero real numbers such that:
    If the answers is yes then the vectors don't form as basis, if the only solution is a_{i}=0, then they do form a basis.
  6. Jul 17, 2010 #5
    It can be shown, through elemental row procedures (on a 3x3 basis matrix) that the second basis: (a+b,b+c,c+a), could be reduces to the first one: (a,b,c).
    thus it is a basis of R3.

I've checked, it can be done.

Try it for yourself :)

*P.S: the point of n vectors forming a basis in R^n space is that they aren't linearly dependent !
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  7. Jul 17, 2010 #6

Staff: Mentor

No, you can't assume that a, b, and c are any specific vectors - only that they form a basis for R3.
    To the OP, to answer your question - you can have one basis or two bases. That's how I remember it working.
  8. Jul 17, 2010 #7
    Thank you all , Its a yes no question, But I were interested n how to prove it..
    Well I've tried this ... even before I posted the question, But I could not get to any solution.
    Now I've tried again and made it
    then , x+z = z+y = y+z = 0
    Thank you.

Thank you, I've also tried this before I've posted the question.. But for some reason I didn't made it..
    After you told me you did it I looked at it again and it work..
    Thank you
    (R3-R2) -> (R3+R1) -> (R1-0.5R3) -> (R2-R1) Done...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook