1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If a group G has order p^n, show any subgroup of order p^n-1 is normal

1. Nov 28, 2011 #1
    If a group G has order [itex] p^n [/itex], show that any subgroup of order [itex] p^{n-1} [/itex] is normal in G.

i have no idea how to start this. i know that to show that a subgroup N is normal in G, i need that [itex] gNg^{-1} = N [/itex]. so i start with any subgroup N of order [itex] p^{n-1} [/itex] but i have no idea how to continue.

this problem appears in the section before the sylow theorems are introduced so i can't use them. i know that for p-groups, the center is nontrivial and has prime power order. also in this same section, Cauchy's theorem was introduced which says if p divides the order of a group then that group has an element of order p. these concepts were introduced fairly recently to me so this may be why i am having trouble.

can someone give me a hint or 2 to continue? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Let H be your subgroup of order pn-1. Consider the action of G on the set [itex]X=\{Hg~\vert~g\in G\}[/itex] by multiplication on the right. This determines a group morphism

[tex]G\rightarrow Sym(X)[/tex]

with kernel N. The idea is to prove that N=H. Prove this in the following steps:

1) [itex]N\subseteq H[/itex]
    2) [G:N]=p[H:N]
    3) G/N is a subgroup of Sym(X), so [G:N] divides p!
    4) [H:N]=1.

4. Nov 29, 2011 #3

Deveno

Science Advisor

don't you actually want a left-action, so that you have a homomorphism, rather than an anti-homomorphism? i mean, usually mappings are written on the left, so we have x(gH), rather than (Hg)x (or Hg.x, if you prefer). it's a small (minor) issue, but usually actions are taken to be left-actions, because of the way we normally compose functions.

5. Nov 29, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It would indeed make more sense. But I'm so used to right actions and right cosets that I can't help it :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook