If-else statements in for loops

In summary, if then else statements can slow down loops if they disrupt the pipeline of instructions.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I've come across a rumor that states that if-else statements can make the loops go slower. Well, it's not rumors since the writer offered numbers (times) to support the statement.
http://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2012/02/13/avoid-unnecessary-if-then-statements-in-loops.html
I was wondering though: it says "For some compiled programming languages such as FORTRAN and C/C++, an optimizing compiler can sometimes determine that an expression is constant and move it outside of the loop for you."
What does "sometimes determine that an expression is constant" and can you know it beforehand?
Thanks

Likes OmCheeto
Technology news on Phys.org
The sentence just before the one you quoted:
This is sometimes called "loop hoisting."
In the link, you have an example of loop-invariant (i.e. constant) expression.

jack action said:
In the link, you have an example of loop-invariant (i.e. constant) expression.
So does it mean that all C++ compilers can do this optimization by themselves?

ChrisVer said:
I don't think it's reasonable to make blanket statements about "all C++ compilers" as far as what optimizations they can or cannot do.

A major reason the if ... else statements inside loops slow things down is that they disrupt the pipeline of instructions. Modern processors are fast, in part, because instructions pass through a multi-stage pipeline, with up to 14 stages. (I believe this number is accurate.) A program that executes sequentially, with one instruction executing after another, keeps the pipeline full and everything chugging along. If a branch instruction is hit (i.e., such as an if ... else), a modern processor can make an educated guess as to which branch will be taken. If its prediction is correct, all is good. If the guess is incorrect, the pipeline is invalidated, and must be filled again, slowing things down.

Likes DrClaude
ChrisVer said:
Mark44 said:
I don't think it's reasonable to make blanket statements about "all C++ compilers" as far as what optimizations they can or cannot do.
Especially since it is usually the programmer that controls the level of optimization!

For gcc, you can see here the optimizations performed at the different levels. At the lowest level of optimization, -O or -O1, you already find
-fmove-loop-invariants

Likes jim mcnamara and ChrisVer
I have found that if statements inside of loops can slow things dramatically, for the reason Mark44 explained. Sometimes you have no choice, but in one instance I sped my code up substantially by changing the sequence from:
for (i...)
if (test) do A
else do B

to:
if (test)
for (i...)
do A
else
for (i...)
do B

Something like this:

Code:
float theta = 0;
for(unsigned int i = 0; i < 255; ++i){
     callFunction(theta + pi);
}
It'll pull that theta + pi out because it'll always be the same while it's in a loop.

if switches don't really have much to do with performance. There is some low level optimization that allows you to do branch prediction, but almost nobody uses it. I only used it in a high speed parsing library, and even then, I left it as a compile option. If you're really into speed, you can do something like this.

Code:
if (likely(a > b)){
     //This block of code will immediately follow the jump, this is faster because it's almost certainly already in processor cache
} else {
    //This block of code may be any number of bytes away
}

Likes ChrisVer
The technical term is branch prediction; some compilers have features that let the programmer tell the compiler which branch of an if statement is expected to happen the most frequently.

The reason this is important is that memory is a lot slower than modern cpu's. Which is why prefetch of instructions helps improve execution speed. So having to go out and refetch new instructions can be a real bottleneck.

Ulrich Drepper has an older white paper, still very valid. If you want to improve your code efficiency consider reading:
https://www.akkadia.org/drepper/cpumemory.pdf

Likes ChrisVer
jim mcnamara said:
Ulrich Drepper has an older white paper, still very valid. If you want to improve your code efficiency consider reading:
https://www.akkadia.org/drepper/cpumemory.pdf
that's a long paper but interesting, I'll have a look in it :)
though in general, in order to see how the compiler compiles the code you have to look at its features (as in DrClaude's reference for gcc) and you have control over it.

Under gcc's control? No, not always. Example: Algorithm choice has a massive impact. Locality (of data) is under your control, as you will see in the article. It can have a big impact as well. Branching too, as case statements provide an interesting challenge. Nested if then else clauses have impact too. Threading. I/O buffer cache size. The list goes on...

You control all these fully. I would suggest you read known good C/C++ code -- like the source for GNU grep or GNU C library code:
https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/sources.html

1. What is the purpose of using if-else statements in for loops?

If-else statements in for loops allow for conditional execution of specific code within a loop. This means that certain code will only be executed if a certain condition is met, otherwise a different set of code will be executed.

2. How do you structure an if-else statement in a for loop?

The basic structure of an if-else statement in a for loop is as follows:

for (initialization; condition; increment/decrement) {
  if (condition) {
    //code to be executed if condition is true
  } else {
    //code to be executed if condition is false
  }

3. Can you have multiple if-else statements within one for loop?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple if-else statements within one for loop. This allows for more complex conditional execution within the loop.

4. What happens if the condition in the if statement is never met?

If the condition in the if statement is never met, the code within the else statement (if there is one) will be executed. If there is no else statement, the loop will continue to run without executing any specific code for that condition.

5. Are if-else statements necessary in all for loops?

No, if-else statements are not necessary in all for loops. They are only needed when there is a specific condition that needs to be checked within the loop, and the execution of certain code depends on that condition being true or false.