If I had two cups of hot water and put one in the fridge and left one

• Thread starter Scully
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

If I had two cups of hot water and put one in the fridge and left one on the table which one after 10 minutes would be cooler ?
I have no idea and have been asked this question, thanks in advance for the answer.

Answers and Replies

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

All else being equal the rate of cooling depend son the temperature difference between the water and it's surroundings - so unless it's very cold in your kitchen, the fridge would be better.

ideasrule
Homework Helper

If I had two cups of hot water and put one in the fridge and left one on the table which one after 10 minutes would be cooler ?
I have no idea and have been asked this question, thanks in advance for the answer.
Do you really need physics to answer this question? I mean, really? I don't want to be harsh, but common sense should tell you the answer.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Isn't physics simply asking 'why' to commonsense questions?

edit: I did think they would follow up with a more 'but why' type question !

fluidistic
Gold Member

Yeah I find very strange that you have no idea about the answer. Also, the experiment is quite easy to do (you only 2 glasses of water + a fridge).
Then putting the same finger in each glass should tell you the answer.

The real question is why is it that hot water will make ice-cubes faster than cold water...

DaveC426913
Gold Member

The real question is why is it that hot water will make ice-cubes faster than cold water...
It won't.

Except in very carefully-controlled circumstances.

All else being equal the rate of cooling depend son the temperature difference between the water and it's surroundings - so unless it's very cold in your kitchen, the fridge would be better.
ok if the room was 20°C warmer what would the answer be ?

fluidistic
Gold Member

ok if the room was 20°C warmer what would the answer be ?
You definitely didn't read the link I provided... There are many more parameters than the room temperature to take into account.