If I had two cups of hot water and put one in the fridge and left one

In summary: Keep reading - it's worth it.In summary, the answer to this question depends on the temperature difference between the water and the surrounding environment. If the room is warmer, then the fridge will be faster in cooling the water.
Scully
If I had two cups of hot water and put one in the fridge and left one on the table which one after 10 minutes would be cooler ?
I have no idea and have been asked this question, thanks in advance for the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org

All else being equal the rate of cooling depend son the temperature difference between the water and it's surroundings - so unless it's very cold in your kitchen, the fridge would be better.

Scully said:
If I had two cups of hot water and put one in the fridge and left one on the table which one after 10 minutes would be cooler ?
I have no idea and have been asked this question, thanks in advance for the answer.

Do you really need physics to answer this question? I mean, really? I don't want to be harsh, but common sense should tell you the answer.

Isn't physics simply asking 'why' to commonsense questions?

edit: I did think they would follow up with a more 'but why' type question !

Scully said:

Yeah I find very strange that you have no idea about the answer. Also, the experiment is quite easy to do (you only 2 glasses of water + a fridge).
Then putting the same finger in each glass should tell you the answer.

The real question is why is it that hot water will make ice-cubes faster than cold water...

James Leighe said:
The real question is why is it that hot water will make ice-cubes faster than cold water...
Oh... then it's a totally different question!
It has been discussed in this forum and I'm pretty sure more than once.
Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect.

James Leighe said:

It won't.

Except in very carefully-controlled circumstances.

mgb_phys said:
All else being equal the rate of cooling depend son the temperature difference between the water and it's surroundings - so unless it's very cold in your kitchen, the fridge would be better.

ok if the room was 20°C warmer what would the answer be ?

Scully said:
ok if the room was 20°C warmer what would the answer be ?

You definitely didn't read the link I provided... There are many more parameters than the room temperature to take into account.

1. What will happen to the hot water if I put it in the fridge?

Putting the hot water in the fridge will cause it to cool down and reach the same temperature as the fridge, which is typically around 4 degrees Celsius. This process is known as thermal equilibrium.

2. Will the water in the fridge cool faster than the one left outside?

Yes, the water in the fridge will cool faster than the one left outside. This is because the fridge is a closed environment with a lower temperature, allowing for faster heat transfer between the water and the surrounding air.

3. How long will it take for the water to cool in the fridge?

The time it takes for the water to cool in the fridge depends on various factors such as the initial temperature of the water, the temperature of the fridge, and the volume of water. Generally, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours for the water to cool down.

4. Why does the hot water in the fridge turn into ice?

The hot water in the fridge does not turn into ice. It simply cools down and reaches the same temperature as the fridge, which may make it feel like ice in comparison to the room temperature water. The freezing point of water is 0 degrees Celsius, which is much lower than the temperature of a typical fridge.

5. Can I drink the water that has been in the fridge?

Yes, you can drink the water that has been in the fridge. As long as the water was clean and safe to drink before it was put in the fridge, it will still be safe to drink after it has been cooled down. However, if the water was left in the fridge for an extended period of time and has developed a strange odor or taste, it is best to discard it.