1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If I is open interval, prove I is an open set

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    Is this a good-enough proof? I could have used neighborhoods to show this, but it seems like this way is a bit easier.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110911_113143.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2011 #2
    You have really only changed the problem from showing that one set is open to showing that two are closed; you'll need to use neighborhoods either way. Much simpler to just take [itex]x \in (a,b)[/itex] (assuming [itex]a < b[/itex]) and take [itex]r[/itex] to be the minimum of [itex]b-x[/itex] and [itex]x-a[/itex] so that [itex]x - r >= x - (x-a) = a[/itex] and [itex]x + r <= x + (b-x) = b[/itex]. Then [itex](x-r, x+r) \subset (a,b)[/itex] holds so that [itex]x[/itex] is an interior point of [itex](a,b)[/itex].

4. Sep 11, 2011 #3
    Well, I also used the fact that if one set is open, its complement is closed. I suppose that's not enough, though.

The professor suggested the method you just did.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook