If I struggled in chemistry, would I struggle in physics?

In summary, the student is debating whether or not to take high school physics in their junior year despite struggling in their chemistry class. They are already taking three other rigorous classes and are unsure if they should add another challenging course. The conversation also touches on the relationship between different science and math subjects and the importance of recognizing early if a certain goal is unachievable. There is also mention of the importance of having the necessary math skills before taking a physics class.
sophia_v
Should I take high school physics when I struggled (but wasn't a total flop) in my chemistry class?

Hello,

I am a high school student in a rigorous high school environment, and I really needed some insight.
I took a chemistry course, and the little math stuff that was required in chemistry was the hardest for me. I also have fulfilled the credits I need for science, however, I still wanted to take physics in my junior year (while I take pre-calculus).

I think the different things physics talk about would be very interesting to learn, but I'm already taking three other rigorous classes.

Should I take physics in my junior year or maybe wait a bit?

Thank you so much for your opinions and time!

Physics news on Phys.org
To answer your question in the title first: This depends on why you struggled. E.g. laziness could be a reason to struggle everywhere. On the other hand are chemistry, physics, biology and mathematics three different fields with different skills required. Of course they are related and people who are good at one of them tend to be not complete idiots in the other. On the other hand, they are e.g. different in the amount of facts which have to be memorized.

I was pretty good in mathematics at school, but terribly failed in (organic) chemistry. I simply found no way to memorize all these carbon combinations, not to mention their properties. And although a very simple task, I really dislike the calculation of concentrations. I regularly confuse the total amount of the components with the total amount of the result, i.e. I simply don't know what is meant by a 5% solution: 100% + 5%, 95%+5%, 95.24%+4.76%, 95.25%.+4.75%. I have no clue and even less an idea how to memorize what the 5% refer to: before, after, componentwise, volume, weight, mass, molecules or whatever. So being bad at one doesn't necessarily mean being bad at another.

As to your second question: If you want to pursue a certain goal and it should happen, that you can't achieve it, then it's simple: the earlier you recognize it the better. But it has to be emphasized, that this does not mean, that there won't be obstacles and even less that they won't be possible to overcome. It means that normally the drop out rate in mathematics or natural sciences is highest at the end or within the first year, which in return means: if you'll make it through this year, your chances statistically will have improved. So it's probably better to find out early. Furthermore, physics can be a motivation to learn calculus and vice versa.

It's hard to understand physics without the math prerequisites. I'm a little surprised that you would be allowed to take physics before you have completed pre-calculus. Maybe I have a misconception about what a high school physics class would be like.

1. If I struggled in chemistry, would I struggle in physics?

While there are some similarities between chemistry and physics, they are two distinct fields of science with different concepts and principles. Therefore, struggling in one does not necessarily mean you will struggle in the other. However, if you struggled in chemistry due to a lack of understanding of fundamental concepts, you may also struggle in physics as it builds upon those concepts. With proper study and practice, it is possible to improve in both subjects.

2. Are there any overlapping topics between chemistry and physics?

Yes, there are some overlapping topics between chemistry and physics, such as thermodynamics, atomic structure, and energy. However, the approach to these topics may differ in each subject. For example, in chemistry, you may focus on how energy is involved in chemical reactions, while in physics, you may focus on the laws and principles that govern energy.

3. Can struggling in chemistry help me in physics?

Struggling in chemistry may help you in physics in the sense that you have already been exposed to some of the basic concepts and principles. However, it is important to keep in mind that each subject has its own unique approach and may require different problem-solving techniques. It is always beneficial to have a strong foundation in chemistry, but it does not guarantee success in physics.

4. Is physics harder than chemistry?

This is a subjective question and can vary from person to person. Some may find physics more challenging due to its mathematical nature, while others may find chemistry more difficult because of the amount of memorization required. It ultimately depends on the individual's strengths and interests. Both subjects require a strong understanding of fundamental concepts and dedicated practice to succeed.

5. Can I do well in physics if I did well in chemistry?

There is no direct correlation between doing well in chemistry and doing well in physics. However, if you have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts in chemistry, it may give you a good foundation to build upon in physics. It is important to keep an open mind and be willing to learn and apply new concepts in order to do well in either subject.