1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If P is normal in H, and H normal in G, then P is normal in G

1. Mar 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Now, G is a finite group, and P is a Sylow P-Subgroup of G, and H is a subgroup of G with P≤H≤G. So if P is normal in H, and H is normal in G, then P is normal in G.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I want to show that gpg^-1 is contained in P but that's about as far as I can get. I know gPg^-1 is going to be another Sylow P-Subgroup, but other than that I'm kind of stuck. When I try going about showing that gpg^-1 q, where q is an element in p, I have trouble showing the two elements are in P. I get as far as q=hph^-1 since q is in P and i think my best bet for showing it is contained in P is for closure...but that's all I get. I know I need to use the P is Sylow P-Subgroup since the property normally isn't transitive, but I'm not sure how to.

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All sylow p subgroups are conjugate, right?

4. Mar 17, 2012 #3
    Ya, gPg^-1 is going to be a conjugate to P, but why does that help me show that it is P? Couldn't it be another Sylow P-Subgroup?

5. Mar 18, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it's another Sylow P-Subgroup then that subgroup is contained in H. What next?

6. Mar 18, 2012 #5
    Why is it necessarily going to be contained in H? Just because of orders and conjugate? Are you going to get that P is unique and so it's normal?

7. Mar 18, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I am. gHg^(-1)=H and P is contained in H.

8. Mar 18, 2012 #7
    So is gPg^(-1)=P because of that?

I'm sorry, I've always been dreadful at showing that something is a normal subgroup.

9. Mar 18, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, that's not the reason. P and gPg^(-1) are two p-sylow subgroups of H. Think about that.

10. Mar 19, 2012 #9
    Since they're normal in H they have to be the same subgroup.

11. Mar 19, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's a little more to it than that. P is normal in H. Why is gPg^(-1)?

12. Mar 19, 2012 #11
    Why is it normal? I can only think that since P is a Sylow P-Subgroup of H, and P is normal in H. But a p-Sylow group is normal if and only if the number of Sylow p-subgroups is one (for that
    ). So P is the unique Sylow p-subgroup. So P is the unique Sylow p-subgroup in G as well, and as such it's normal.

13. Mar 19, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, that does it. Since P and gPg^(-1) are both sylow p-subgroups of H. Then they are conjugate in H. So gPg^(-1)=hPh^(-1) where h is in H. Since P is normal in H, gPg^(-1)=P.

14. Mar 20, 2012 #13
    Awesome!!! Thank you do much for walking me through it!! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook