Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian.

1. Sep 3, 2009 #1
    If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian. -Paul McCartney

would you become one?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2
    Re: Vegetarianism

I wouldn't have much problem giving up red meat, but I do love chicken and fish :biggrin:

4. Sep 3, 2009 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As a kid, my dad spent a summer working in a slaughterhouse, in South Dakota. He couldn't eat some beef products for years afterwards.

Due to blood sugar and other problems, I need a diet high in protein; and I can't eat nuts. I probably couldn't survive as a vegetarian.

5. Sep 3, 2009 #4

Can't drink whey protein shakes?

6. Sep 3, 2009 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmmm, never tried one as far as I know, but you can't live on milkshakes.

I probably feel as good as I ever do after a nice big steak... provided I don't eat too much! :biggrin: I do eat a lot of fish and chicken and try to limit red meat to once a week or so. My biggest weakness is cheese - esp super-sharp cheddar.

7. Sep 3, 2009 #6

Yes. I don't know how some people love to eat half alive fishes .. etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTUPHExilFk

8. Sep 3, 2009 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only thing I miss is grilled chicken. I think it is really strange how people are in denial about the animal industry. There was a Dutch artist (Tinkebell) who had a terminally sick cat (Pinkeltje), she killed it herself in a humane way and made a purse out of it (to show how we commercialize animals). People were enraged and she received many death threats. I can somewhat understand their reaction, but fundamentally they are taking advantage of animals in the same way.

pinkeltjetas.jpg

This is really interesting as well: "The Baby Bunnies series provides an analysis of the consumptive attitude that (post)modern man has taken on in relation to pets." Caution: it features a preserved cat and dog and might be considered offensive: http://www.tinkebell.com/popplesmall.jpg [Broken]

I don't want to force people to become vegetarian, but I would suggest to limit your consumption of red meat (especially meat that is not done). Red meat is strongly associated with colon cancer.

Butchers and veterinarians suffer from more cancers than the general population, even lung cancer (in non-smokers), it is thought that viruses from the meat are tumorigenic. Butchers typically suffer from HPV-7 virus infections: "Butcher's wart virus".

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Sep 3, 2009 #8

That was really disturbing and saddening to watch...

10. Sep 3, 2009 #9

I have seen this with lobster too in Japan. horrible

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  11. Sep 3, 2009 #10

I wonder if they also make handbags out of still alive animals over there

12. Sep 3, 2009 #11

I severely dislike this moral degradation of the respectable profession of the butcher. There is nothing wrong or evil about killing an animal for food. Unfortunately it seems to take desperate situations for people to realize this, now that all food comes wrapped in shiny plastic concealing the origin.

13. Sep 3, 2009 #12

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We had a show here in the UK that followed various different animals through the slaughter process. I watched most of them and I'm not a vegetarian. It was interesting seeeing what happens to our food however. The show was called "Kill it, Cook it, Eat it".

14. Sep 3, 2009 #13

You can though! I had gastric bypass surgery a year ago, and i drank two to three whey protein milkshakes a day. I tried to get at least 100 grams a day. I did this for three months after the surgery, and ate only baked chicken and bananas. I still drink at least one protein shake a day. I went from 320lbs to 170lbs. :shy:

15. Sep 3, 2009 #14

Pythagorean

Gold Member

That's a fallacy. I think the more proper statement would be that people would stop buying their meat from certain slaughterhouses.

In Alaska, we hunt and butcher game plenty, and it's always kind of fun. I like killing things, honestly; Though I don't like things to suffer. I do feel bad when I hear the deer's sheep-like cry ("maaaaahhh-hah-hah!") as a result of crappy, overconfident shooting.

I like to role-play like I'm a beast, sometimes. I chase down my kill and take it out with my bare hands (often dropping from trees) and then I dig into it with my fangs like a Lion, while the heart's still taking it's last beats.

Totally kidding about that last part.

16. Sep 3, 2009 #15

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thats the point, there is a difference between farm reared and slaughtered beef from the Yorkshire Dales and factory chicken.

17. Sep 3, 2009 #16

At that rate, you would have 3.4 more months before reaching 0 lbs.

18. Sep 3, 2009 #17

negitron

Science Advisor

That's a ridiculous statement from several angles. For one thing, most people have never been anywhere near a slaughterhouse. For another, a non-insignificant segment of the population hunts, dresses and butchers their own meat. And some people don't suffer under the illusion that meat comes from the supermarket; I've seen what goes on in a slaughterhouse and you have my red meat when you can pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Paul McCartney is a great songwriter but a lousy sociologist.

19. Sep 3, 2009 #18

I don't think the statement was referring to people being disgusted with the killing of animals, but rather the lack of sanitation and such that goes on in those facilities.

I love red meat...but I have a feeling if I saw the disgusting conditions that my meat went through before eating it, I might be scared out of eating red meat that I DIDNT hunt and kill myself...

20. Sep 3, 2009 #19

negitron

Science Advisor

Most commercial slaughterhouses are, in fact, reasonably sanitary.

21. Sep 3, 2009 #20

i have no problem killing and eating things. was probably about 10 years old when i first started cleaning and filleting fish. the only thing weird about it is that sometimes catfish will swallow air and it sounds like they're crying as it comes out.

never had any real desire to hunt in the modern sense, but i have considered taking up traditional archery. spending tens of thousands on equipment and clothing and such to bag trophy has little appeal, but the bare bones approach to feeding oneself does.

mmm... i think i will go have some beef (and vegetable) stew now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook