If the integral is zero, when is the integrand also zero?

• Thread starter plasmoid
  • Start date
If

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(k) e^{i\mathbf{k}.\mathbf{r}} d\mathbf{k} =0 [/tex]

then is

[tex]\ f(k)=0[/tex] ?

Is it correct to say that this is an expansion in an orthonormal basis, [tex]\ e^{ik.r} [/tex] , and so linear independence demands that f(k) be zero for all k?

Answers and Replies

Mute
Homework Helper
Yep, that works. You can show it explicitly by multiplying both sides by [itex]\exp(-i\mathbf{q} \cdot \mathbf{r})[/itex] and integrating over r. You should find f(q) = 0. (Assuming f(q) is reasonably 'nice'. I suppose there could be pathological examples where f(q) is non-zero).

CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I believe that the basis being complete without redundancy is also important. In other words: you can say f(k) = 0, if any function (in your function space) can be expanded in the basis, and in a unique way.

[Edit: probably you can show this to be the case for an orthonormal basis, because it is impossible to express any basis element as (infinite) sum of the others].

Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
If

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(k) e^{i\mathbf{k}.\mathbf{r}} d\mathbf{k} =0 [/tex]

then is

[tex]\ f(k)=0[/tex] ?

Is it correct to say that this is an expansion in an orthonormal basis, [tex]\ e^{ik.r} [/tex] , and so linear independence demands that f(k) be zero for all k?

No. This is an integral transform, not an expansion of a function in some orthonormal basis. If f(k) was non-zero at only a finite number of points, you would still get 0 for the integral. You might be able to say f(k) = 0 "almost everywhere" or "except on a set of measure zero".