If this is not a Bernoulli spiral, what is it then?

In summary, this old nerd wearing a tie with a certain spiral, which does not look like a Bernoulli spiral to me, told me that it was a Golden Spiral. However, I seem to have lost the note and time made me forget it. I wouldn't be able to describe properly, so I have a photograph of the tie on my flickr. Maybe it is the Golden Spiral, but I don't think it is. Thanks for the comments!
Signa
I met this old nerd wearing a tie with a certain spiral, which does not look like a Bernoulli spiral to me. He actually told me, what it was, but I seem to have lost the note and time made me forget it. I wouldn´t be able to describe properly, so I have a photograph of the tie on my flickr:
http://flic.kr/p/b1Dt6P

Anyone happens to know, what it is?

Much obliged,
Arthur

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Arthur. I'm afraid that I can't help you out on this.
It's a damned cool design, though. If it turns out to mean something that I like, I wouldn't mind getting it as a tatoo.

Thanks for the comments! I just don´t really think it´s the Golden or Equiangular Spiral as the angle to the rightmost slope to the x-axis seems a bit too steep for it to truly match.
Sure, it´s an embroidery and geometric accuracy cannot be fully expected, but I remember the guy telling another story and one could embroider the equiangular spiral much more clear!
So I´m still thankful for more suggestions.
By the way, here is the guy, who came with it:
http://flic.kr/p/b1DsCc
This guy makes it look even cooler on a tie, than as a tattoo...

Looks like spiral of Archimedes, in polar coordinates:

r = a θ , θ starting at 0

but the logo appears rotated left 90°, which would be:

r = a (θ - π/2), θ starting at π/2

For the rotated image, imagine rotating the image from the wiki article 90° to the left (tilt your head 90° to the right) and note the first 360° of the spiral would look like the logo. Link to the wiki artilcle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedean_spiral

Last edited:
It really does look more like the archimedean spiral, than any other. In all drawings I found, the archimedean spiral starts at the pole, while the equiangular spiral never reaches the pole. In the logo on the tie, the spiral quite clearly starts at 0.
Thanks a lot rcgldr and the other for help!

Happy New Year!

Related to If this is not a Bernoulli spiral, what is it then?

1. What is a Bernoulli spiral?

A Bernoulli spiral is a type of geometric curve named after the Swiss mathematician Jacob Bernoulli. It is defined by the equation r = aθ^n, where r is the distance from the origin, θ is the angle from the x-axis, a is a constant, and n is a positive or negative integer. This spiral is often seen in nature, such as in the shape of a snail's shell or the path of a whirlpool.

2. How can you tell if a curve is not a Bernoulli spiral?

To determine if a curve is not a Bernoulli spiral, you can plot the points and see if they follow the equation r = aθ^n. If the points do not follow this pattern, then it is not a Bernoulli spiral. Alternatively, you can also look for other defining characteristics of a Bernoulli spiral, such as increasing distance from the origin as the angle increases or a constant rate of change in the spiral's curvature.

3. What are some other types of spirals besides the Bernoulli spiral?

Besides the Bernoulli spiral, there are other types of spirals, such as the Archimedean spiral, logarithmic spiral, and hyperbolic spiral. These spirals are defined by different equations and have distinct characteristics. For example, the Archimedean spiral has a constant distance from the origin and the logarithmic spiral has a constant ratio between the distance from the origin and the angle.

4. Can a curve be a combination of different types of spirals?

Yes, a curve can be a combination of different types of spirals. For example, a rose curve is a combination of two or more Archimedean spirals with different radii and angles. It is also possible for a curve to have characteristics of both a spiral and another type of curve, such as a parabola or ellipse.

5. What are some practical applications of studying different types of spirals?

Studying different types of spirals can have various practical applications. For example, understanding the properties of Bernoulli spirals can help in designing objects with spiral shapes, such as springs or ramps. Logarithmic spirals are often seen in nature, such as in the shape of a seashell, and studying them can provide insight into the growth and evolution of living organisms. Spirals are also used in various mathematical and scientific fields, such as in modeling natural phenomena or in computer graphics.