If two wave of different amplitudes superpose at a point, would each

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter brainyman89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Amplitudes Point Wave
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
brainyman89
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
if two wave of different amplitudes superpose at a point, would each wave leave this point with the same amplitude before superposition, or will they leave the point of superposition with equal amplitudes?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


The beauty of superposition is that after the two waves have interfered, they leave 'unharmed'.
As a example where your second guess would be outrageous is if you have two waves one of which has zero amplitude (is it there, really? I don't know). After they interfered, there would be two waves. I don't think that's acceptable (and I'm not talking about any quantum effects here, guys!).
 


jeppetrost said:
The beauty of superposition is that after the two waves have interfered, they leave 'unharmed'.

can yo tell me the reason why they leave unharmed
 


Uhm, because they obey superposition :D
I don't think I have any kind of intuitive reason, or what you'd call it.
It's all in the equations really.