1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If you take the number 7 out of the real number line, then

1. Jun 17, 2013 #1
    what can be said about 7? Is it like an infinitesimal? Is it smaller or bigger? What is it? Is it just [7,7]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your question is too vague. Explain what you really have in mind.

4. Jun 17, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you remove 7 from the number line, then you get the real numbers with a point removed. A point has zero length.

5. Jun 17, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Of the choices given, "[7, 7]", which is exactly the same as the set notation "{7}" is best. It is a single point. You would have to define exactly what you mean by "infinitesimal" in this context before anyone could answer your other questions.

6. Jun 17, 2013 #5
    If I take out the number 7, then it seems as though I have something very small but perhaps larger than an infinitesimal like 5/n→∞. Because, we know that 5/n→∞ = 0, but 7 = 7, not 0.

7. Jun 17, 2013 #6
    The "infinitesimal" that I was thinking of is something like 3/n→∞.

8. Jun 17, 2013 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What you've written doesn't make any sense. Did you mean something like
    [tex] \lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{3}{n} = 0 [/tex]?

It's not clear to me why you think this is related to the number 7. The length of the interval [7,7] is completely unrelated to the number 7 itself

9. Jun 17, 2013 #8
    Yes, I just don't know how to use the proper notation on this forum.

Doesn't [7,7] and 7 have similar properties?

10. Jun 17, 2013 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does [tex] \mathbb{R} [/tex] and [tex] \{ \mathbb{R} \} [/tex] have similar properties? The first being the set of real numbers, and the second being a set which contains a single element, namely the set of real numbers. The answer is no, not in general. Another good example is ∅, the empty set, and {∅}, the set containing only the empty set (in particular it is not empty!)

Any claims that [7,7] (which is the set containing only the number 7, i.e. {7} as has been mentioned above) and 7 the number share similar properties should be clarified in detail: what properties might these share?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook