If you threw a warm water balloon into space, would it boil?

In summary, the expansion of a balloon in space would depend on the material it is made of and the location where the experiment takes place. If the temperature is at room temperature, the balloon could potentially boil if the pressure inside is around 0.02 atmospheres. The pressure would be limited by the balloon envelope and a mixture of vapor and water droplets would be in equilibrium. This is similar to what happens on Earth, where clothes dry when the partial pressure of water vapor in the air is lower than the vapor pressure of water. This information can be found in the Vapour pressure of water wiki link. However, the exact answer to how much the balloon would expand would depend on the material of the balloon. It is possible
Nicholas Harris
And by how much would the balloon expand, if at all?

Likes OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
Nicholas Harris said:
And by how much would the balloon expand, if at all?
It would totally depend on the material that the balloon was made of (how it could withstand internal pressure) and where, in space, you did the experiment. The temperature would be determined by thermal equilibrium with the received Sunlight and radiated energy. If it ended up at 'room temperature (not impossible) then it could boil if the pressure in the balloon were around 0.02Atmospheres. See this wiki link for a list of vapour pressures at 'typical' Earth temperatures.
If the pressure were limited by the balloon envelope then there would be a mixture of vapour and water droplets (held together by molecular forces) in equilibrium when equilibrium is reached. This is what happens on Earth; clothes dry when the partial pressure of water vapour in the air is less than the vapour pressure of the water.
Hope this wasn't a homework question; I have more or less answered it for you.

Likes OmCheeto
sophiecentaur said:
It would totally depend on the material that the balloon was made of (how it could withstand internal pressure) and where, in space, you did the experiment. The temperature would be determined by thermal equilibrium with the received Sunlight and radiated energy. If it ended up at 'room temperature (not impossible) then it could boil if the pressure in the balloon were around 0.02Atmospheres. See this wiki link for a list of vapour pressures at 'typical' Earth temperatures.
Were you referring to this one?: Vapour pressure of water

If the pressure were limited by the balloon envelope then there would be a mixture of vapour and water droplets (held together by molecular forces) in equilibrium when equilibrium is reached. This is what happens on Earth; clothes dry when the partial pressure of water vapour in the air is less than the vapour pressure of the water.
Hope this wasn't a homework question; I have more or less answered it for you.
I don't think you've answered the question, but you've certainly given good clues on how to solve it.
For some god knows why reason, I researched party balloon pressure just a couple of months ago, and came across the following research demonstration:

John Phillips, Chemistry teacher at Spring Street International School, Friday Harbor Washington.

Unfortunately, you have to wait until the very end of the video to see the data. [3 whole minutes! I thought I was going to die.]
Anyways, I'm not sure what the answers are, to the questions:

Nicholas Harris said:
If you threw a warm water balloon into space, would it boil, and by how much would the balloon expand, if at all?

as I was researching something else.

And this problem looks like it involves both a bit of maths and logic.
I've done quite enough of that this morning, and don't want to tax my brain.

OmCheeto said:
Were you referring to this one?: Vapour pressure of water
Thanks. I forgot to press the link button - durr!

But the answer still depends on the material of the balloon. It's a very possible school level experiment with a bell jar and a vacuum pump. The level of vacuum achievable this way is not what you would get in space but it's definitely low enough to make the point.
A beaker of luke warm water can easily be made to boil under these conditions so it's all down to the strength of the balloon envelope and whether it can maintain an internal pressure of 2% Atmospheric without bursting. A kevlar / carbon fibre balloon would sustain 1 Atmosphere so the water would just stay the same in that case. Water 'bomb' balloons are deliberately chosen to be pretty weak . . . . .

Likes OmCheeto

1. What would happen to a warm water balloon if it was thrown into space?

The warm water balloon would initially expand due to the decrease in pressure in space, but eventually it would reach equilibrium and retain its original size.

2. Would the water inside the balloon boil in the vacuum of space?

Yes, the water inside the balloon would boil because there is no atmospheric pressure to keep it in liquid form.

3. How long would it take for the water to boil in space?

The water would boil almost immediately upon entering the vacuum of space, as there is no pressure to keep it in liquid form.

4. Would the balloon burst in space due to the lack of pressure?

No, the balloon would not burst because it is designed to withstand changes in pressure. However, it may eventually burst due to the expansion of the water inside.

5. What would happen to the water vapor after the balloon bursts?

The water vapor would disperse into space and eventually freeze due to the low temperatures. It would also contribute to the formation of ice crystals in space.