I'm about to go to college: I need advice

In summary: So, the best option would be to check the syllabus of the college you are planning to take admission in.In summary, the speaker is a 17-year-old student from Europe who is starting college in September to study electrical and computer engineering. They express their love for the pure science of electricity and their interest in building alternators, electric motors, and learning about electromagnetism. However, they are unsure about what they will learn in the 5-year period of college and express a desire to work in the field of electromagnetism or invent a new "tesla coil." They receive advice to focus on learning about microcontrollers like the Arduino and PIC, which will give them an advantage in internships and jobs. They are also advised
francistm
Hi!
I'm 17 years and I'm from Europe, I'm going to college in september to the course electrical and computer engineering. And this is what I really love:
The pure science of electricity, I love building alternators for generating electric power, I also build electric motors and so, I love electromagnetism! It is something that fascinates me, I also want to learn how to build a tesla coil to understand some more about high voltage. But what bothers me, Is that I don't know exactly what I'm going to learn in this 5 year period in college, and I see myself working in some field of electromagnetism or try to invent a new "tesla coil" (this is just an example of course). Can someone clear me out? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
francistm said:
Hi!
I'm 17 years and I'm from Europe, I'm going to college in september to the course electrical and computer engineering. And this is what I really love:
The pure science of electricity, I love building alternators for generating electric power, I also build electric motors and so, I love electromagnetism! It is something that fascinates me, I also want to learn how to build a tesla coil to understand some more about high voltage. But what bothers me, Is that I don't know exactly what I'm going to learn in this 5 year period in college, and I see myself working in some field of electromagnetism or try to invent a new "tesla coil" (this is just an example of course). Can someone clear me out? Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Congratulations on your course of study, and the wonderful adventure you are starting on.

I have a couple of pieces of advice -- just take them as offered advice, and not the gospel truth. First, I would stay away from the Tesla coil stuff, since there is not much traction to be gained there in real EE work. Second, I'd recommend that you start to learn about microcontrollers like the Arduino and PIC and other uCs. That will give you a lot of leverage on projects that you can build on your own to learn more about EE, and will give you an advantage over your other EE students when it comes to applying for internships and jobs later on.

Enjoy the ride! :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Congratulations on your course of study, and the wonderful adventure you are starting on.

I have a couple of pieces of advice -- just take them as offered advice, and not the gospel truth. First, I would stay away from the Tesla coil stuff, since there is not much traction to be gained there in real EE work. Second, I'd recommend that you start to learn about microcontrollers like the Arduino and PIC and other uCs. That will give you a lot of leverage on projects that you can build on your own to learn more about EE, and will give you an advantage over your other EE students when it comes to applying for internships and jobs later on.

Enjoy the ride! :smile:

Thanks a lot! I actually already own an arduino :) But in college, will I learn the things I mentioned above and also electronics?

The college should tell you about the syllabus before you choose which course or even which college. The syllabus can be different at different colleges.

1. What should I major in?

Choosing a major can be a daunting decision. The best way to determine your major is to think about your interests, strengths, and career goals. Consider taking a variety of classes in different subjects to see what sparks your passion. You can also speak with an academic advisor or take career assessments to help guide your decision.

2. How do I choose the right college?

There are many factors to consider when choosing a college. Some important things to think about include the location, size, academic programs, cost, and campus culture. It's also helpful to visit the campuses and get a feel for the environment. Don't be afraid to reach out to current students or alumni to get their perspectives as well.

3. How can I prepare for college academically?

To prepare for college academically, it's important to take challenging courses in high school and maintain good grades. You can also take Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) classes to earn college credit. Additionally, developing good study habits and time management skills will help you succeed in college.

4. How can I afford college?

There are several options for financing your college education. Scholarships, grants, and financial aid are all available to help cover the costs. You can also consider working part-time or taking out student loans. It's important to research and compare the different options to determine what works best for you.

5. What advice do you have for adjusting to college life?

Adjusting to college life can be challenging, but there are things you can do to make the transition smoother. Get involved in campus activities and clubs, make connections with fellow students and professors, and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. It's also important to take care of your physical and mental health by getting enough sleep, eating well, and managing stress.