Seeking Advice After Making a Major Mistake: I Chose the Wrong Major

In summary: I'm not sure if that's what you're thinking about, but it's really good and you don't need a degree in CS.
itsthemac
I very desperately need some advice from you guys. This has been eating me up inside for the last half a year.

Here's the situation: I'm a computer science major with one year to go before I get my BS. I find computer science interesting, but I'm not very passionate about it. I basically chose the major because I knew it was lucrative and I had to pick a major, and I sadly couldn't think of anything else. I always wished that I knew what I wanted to do, but I never really had any direction. Unfortunately, it took me up until last year to figure out that what I'm really interested in is physics. I now spend almost every minute of my free time at home researching physics stuff online and reading physics books that I've checked out from my university's library.

I feel absolutely horrible when I think about how I might have made such a huge mistake by choosing the wrong major. I wish I could just go back three years and tell my confused freshman self to get into physics. I only have one year left so I can't really switch majors now, without doing an extra two or three years. I've tried contacting people in the physics department at my school to ask for advice and they basically just told me it's too late now and that I might consider grad school. I feel so overwhelmed with school loans and debt already, and I just hate this feeling that I need to act NOW and do something to change my life-trajectory and get into physics, but I have no idea WHAT I need to do. I think about this almost every day. That I NEED to get into physics. It's where I really belong. It's my passion. I can't stand just letting it slip away, just because I figured it out a little late in the game.

I really just need to know what my best options are at this point. What would you guys say? Could I maybe get a job in physics with my CS degree? Could I realistically go to grad school for physics with only a bachelors in CS? What about going back after I get my CS degree and getting a BS in physics? Maybe there's something else that I'm not thinking of?

I thank you for any advice that you guys have.

Physics news on Phys.org

This just happened to me too. :( I just switched CS to Physics myself! :) I had a year and a half to go.. but I'm doubling up on core classes since I'm pretty good with math. (I <3 calculus) I'll be here an extra year..but most people take an extra year on the 4 year anyway. Think of it this way, you will have a wonderful programming background for doing computational physics and simulations. :D

Also look at CS grad school in numeric analysis (ex. numeric methods for solving PDEs).

I can understand the feeling of regret and uncertainty that comes with realizing you may have chosen the wrong path. However, it's important to remember that it's never too late to make a change and pursue your true passion. Here are some possible options for you to consider:

1. Pursue a career in computational physics or scientific computing: Your background in computer science can actually be very valuable in the field of physics. Many research labs and companies are looking for individuals who have skills in both computer science and physics. You could potentially work as a computational physicist, using your programming and data analysis skills to solve complex physics problems.

2. Consider a double major or minor in physics: Depending on your university's policies, it may be possible for you to add a minor or second major in physics while still completing your computer science degree. This would allow you to gain more knowledge and experience in the field of physics without having to add extra time to your degree.

3. Look into graduate programs in physics: While it may be more challenging to get into a graduate program in physics with a computer science degree, it is not impossible. Many graduate programs consider applicants from diverse backgrounds and your passion for physics could make you a strong candidate. You could also consider taking some physics courses as electives during your senior year to show your dedication and interest in the field.

4. Network and gain experience in the field: Consider reaching out to professionals in the field of physics, attending conferences or workshops, and gaining experience through internships or research opportunities. This will not only give you a better understanding of the field, but also help you build connections and potentially open up new opportunities.

Remember that ultimately, your happiness and fulfillment in your career should be a top priority. Don't be afraid to take a chance and pursue your passion, even if it means taking a different path than originally planned. Good luck!

1. What should I do if I realize I chose the wrong major?

If you realize that you chose the wrong major, the first thing you should do is talk to an academic advisor or career counselor. They can help guide you through the process of switching majors and provide information on the steps you need to take.

2. Is it too late to change my major?

It is never too late to change your major, but it is important to consider the potential consequences. Switching majors may delay your graduation date or require you to take additional courses. However, it is better to switch now and pursue a career you are truly passionate about rather than regretting your choice later on.

3. How do I know if I really made the wrong decision?

If you are constantly feeling unhappy or unfulfilled in your major, it may be a sign that you made the wrong decision. It is also important to evaluate your interests, skills, and goals to see if they align with your chosen major. Talking to a career counselor or taking career assessments can also help provide clarity.

4. Will changing my major affect my future job prospects?

In most cases, changing your major will not have a significant impact on your future job prospects. Employers are more interested in your skills, experiences, and qualifications rather than your specific major. However, it is important to choose a major that will provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge for your desired career.

5. How can I make the transition to a new major smoother?

The best way to make the transition to a new major smoother is to plan ahead and communicate with your academic advisor. Make sure to research the new major and its requirements, and create a plan to catch up on any missed courses. It is also important to stay organized and motivated throughout the process.