1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm currently stuck on a transformer question and require a little clarification

1. Aug 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 50 kVA 6360 V/240 V, 50 Hz, transformer is tested on open circuit and short circuit to obtain its efficiency. The results of the tests are as follows:
    Open Circuit: Primary Voltage 6360 V, Primary current 1.0 A, Input power 2 kW.
    Short Circuit: Voltage across primary 280 V, Current in secondary 175 A, Input power 1kW

power factor at 0.8 lagging

3. The attempt at a solution

So far I've calculate the impedances using the open circuit and short circuit equations, and I'm having trouble getting the power equations.
    I've used P(open circuit) = P(input)*I(open circuit)*cos(theta)
    where cos(theta) = PF
    I've used P(short circuit) = P(input)*I(short circuit)*cos(theta)

And then P(output)/(P(output) + P(open circuit)+P(short circuit)), and I'm getting an efficiency of ~61%. I'm pretty sure this is wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2012 #2
    I think it's wrong because transformers should usually have an efficiency of ~90% and above. To be getting such an inefficient transformer with those values just doesn't seem right. Can anybody please confirm?

4. Aug 23, 2012 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I get η>90%. What did you calculate the impedances to be?

5. Aug 23, 2012 #4
    From the open circuit test, I got Rc = 7950 ohm, and Xm = 10600 ohm

From the short circuit test, I got z = 1.6 angle 36.86 degrees using the formula z(s/c) = (short circuit voltage/short circuit current) angle theta

I found the angle (theta) from PF = cos theta

I'm not sure what I've done wrong from there, is it possible that you could show me your working out? I followed the notes on open circuit/short circuit test that my lecturer gave me, and I re-watched the video of him lecturing this particular topic, but I found that it hasn't helped much at all, and it's only gotten me more confused.

6. Aug 23, 2012 #5
    I know that if I do

(50 * 0.8)/(50 * 0.8 +(2+1)) I get an efficiency of about 93%,

where the 50 is the 50 KVA input voltage, the 0.8 is the power factor, the 2 comes from the 2KW input on the open circuit test, and the 1 comes from the 1KW input on the short circuit test. I think I'm just confusing myself more by doing that though. I saw my lecturer do it this way, and I don't really understand why or what exactly it achieves. Electricity just doesn't like me :P

7. Aug 23, 2012 #6

NascentOxygen

Have you referred the S/C current back to the primary side for this calculation?

8. Aug 23, 2012 #7
    Yes, I have referred it back to the primary and drawn an equivalent circuit. Referring it to the primary I got R(E)=1123.6 and X(Z)=674.16. What equation did you use to calculate the copper/core losses? I've tried P=I^R and P(open circuit)=P(input)*I(open circuit)*power factor and P(short circuit)=V(short circuit)*I(short circuit)*power factor using the values given/calculated for each.

9. Aug 23, 2012 #8

NascentOxygen

How do I relate that to this ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook