Shady data from a transformer’s short-circuit test

In summary, a transformer's short-circuit test is a procedure used to determine its impedance and losses at full load current. "Shady" data from this test can occur due to measurement errors or external factors, and can lead to incorrect calculations, safety hazards, and equipment damage. To ensure accuracy, calibrated equipment, proper procedures, and multiple tests should be used, and any "shady" data should be investigated and rectified.
Kamakiri

Homework Statement

Data from the short-circuit test of a 60-Hz, 100-kVA, 4600–230-V transformer are:

VSC = 172.3 V
ISC = 20.2 A
PSC = 1046 W

Get the per-unit parameters.

2. Relevant equations

ISC ≠ Irated, so how will I solve the problem?

The problem is from the book with ISBN 0130612103.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kamakiri said:
I_(SC) is unequal to the rated current, so how will I solve the problem?

Rated current is about 100 kVA / 4.6 kV = 21.7 A, so the error-ratio is 21.7 A / 20.2 A = 1.076

So you multiply Vsc and Isc by 1.076.

Multiply Psc by 1.0762. ( P = R * I2. )

The per-unit parameters are the same whether or not I multiplied the data by 1.076 or 1.0762.

FAQ: Shady data from a transformer’s short-circuit test

1. What is a transformer's short-circuit test?

A transformer's short-circuit test is a procedure used to determine its impedance and losses when operating at full load current. This test involves applying a low voltage to the transformer's secondary winding and measuring the resulting current and voltage.

2. Why is data from a transformer's short-circuit test considered "shady"?

Data from a transformer's short-circuit test may be considered "shady" if it is inconsistent or does not match the expected values. This can happen due to measurement errors, faulty equipment, or other external factors.

3. How can I ensure the accuracy of data from a transformer's short-circuit test?

To ensure the accuracy of data from a transformer's short-circuit test, it is important to use calibrated and accurate measurement equipment, follow proper testing procedures, and eliminate any external factors that may affect the results. It is also recommended to perform multiple tests and compare the data to identify any discrepancies.

4. What are the potential consequences of using "shady" data from a transformer's short-circuit test?

Using inaccurate or inconsistent data from a transformer's short-circuit test can lead to incorrect calculations and predictions, which can result in faulty designs or inefficient operation of the transformer. This can also cause safety hazards and damage to the equipment.

5. How can I deal with "shady" data from a transformer's short-circuit test?

If "shady" data is identified from a transformer's short-circuit test, it is important to investigate the cause and try to eliminate any errors or external factors. If the data cannot be rectified, it is recommended to perform additional tests or consult with experts to obtain accurate and reliable data for analysis and calculations.