Transformer principle (induced secondary voltage/current)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of induced secondary voltage and current in a magnetic circuit when the primary current is interrupted by opening a switch. The speaker asks for assistance in understanding this phenomenon and is directed to research flyback transformers for further understanding. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering the properties of a transformer, such as winding capacitance, in understanding this process.
Mutaja

Homework Statement

Draw a sketch and show/explain how the induced secondary voltage and current "moves" when the primary current "breaks" the instant the switch N is opened. See the attached image below (I apologize for my awful paint job...).

?temp_hash=b207ee3ef27f2706b1ebb12786f43b18.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Well. this isn't much of a solution, but I've found out the following about the magnetic circuit, if I can call it that, while the switch is closed:

?temp_hash=b207ee3ef27f2706b1ebb12786f43b18.png

How can I explore what happens to the circuit when the switch is opened?

The lectures and lecture notes we have on this subject says nothing about this particular problem - or at least I don't understand it.

Any input will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• Magnetic circuit.png
    Magnetic circuit.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 527
  • Magnetic flux.PNG
    Magnetic flux.PNG
    16.6 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
This is similar to how a flyback transformer works. Try looking that up on wikipedia or other web learning resource.

Since current can't change instantaneously through an inductor, something happens very quickly when the switch opens. You need to keep in mind the real properties of a transformer, including winding capacitance...

1. What is the transformer principle?

The transformer principle is the physical law that explains the relationship between the primary and secondary coils of a transformer. It states that when an alternating current flows through the primary coil, it creates a magnetic field that induces a voltage and current in the secondary coil.

2. How does the transformer principle work?

The transformer principle works through the process of electromagnetic induction. The alternating current in the primary coil creates a constantly changing magnetic field, which then induces a voltage and current in the secondary coil.

3. What is the purpose of the transformer principle?

The purpose of the transformer principle is to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another without a direct electrical connection. This allows for efficient transmission of electricity over long distances and the ability to change the voltage level of the electricity.

4. What factors affect the induced secondary voltage and current in a transformer?

The factors that affect the induced secondary voltage and current in a transformer include the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils, the frequency of the alternating current, and the core material of the transformer.

5. Are there any limitations to the transformer principle?

While the transformer principle is a fundamental law of physics, there are some limitations to its application. One limitation is that it only works with alternating current, not direct current. Additionally, transformers can experience losses due to factors such as resistance and leakage of magnetic flux.