Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: I'm dumb I know, I need Probability help

1. Mar 15, 2006 #1
    I did this problem but am not too sure it's right, have a look

Of all households making less than $25,000 annually, 45% of them use coupons weekly when shopping for groceries. Suppose 10 households making less than $25,000 annually are selected at random. What is the variance of the number of households that use coupons weekly?

I got 4.5

But I have no clue how to do this one, the book doesn't explain anything

Suppose 30% of all M&Ms are brown. If 7 M&Ms are randomly selected, what is the probability that at most 1 is brown?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

These are both binomial distribution problems. The probability that a selected house hold uses coupons weekly is 0.45 and the probability that is does not is 0.55. You should have a formula for the variance of a sample from a binomial distribution.

If 30% of all M&Ms are brown, then 70% are not- the chance that any randomly selected M&M is not brown is 0.7. What is the probability that all 10 are not brown? What is the probability that exactly one is brown?
    Again, this is a binomial distribution.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook