Intro Statistics/ Probability help?

In summary: Suppose that each individual component functions independently of all other components and each component functions with probability 0.8.A. What is the probability that subsystem 12 does not work or P( A1Compliment 'union' A2Compliment)? What I did:0.2 +0.2= 0.40Incorrect, you have to take into account the probability that both components fail. It should be 0.2 + 0.2 - 0.2 * 0.2 = 0.36. B. Find the probability that the entire system functions or P( A12 'union' A34)?What
nontradstuden

Homework Statement

1) A computer firm presently has bids out on three projects. Let Ai = {awarded project i} for i = 1,2,3.
Suppose that P(A1) = 0.20, P(A2) = 0.25, P(A3) = 0.28, P(A1∩A2) = 0.10, P(A1∩A3) = 0.06, P(A2∩A3) =
0.08, and P(A1∩A2∩A3) = 0.01.
Compute the following probabilities: Hint: Draw a Venn diagram

A) Prob of (A2Compliment 'intersection' A3Compliment)

I'm confused with this one. I did draw a Venn diagram.
Am I supposed to say...

A2compliment * A3 compliment= 0.75*0.72=0.54.
Or compute it as 1- P( the union of A2 with A3)= 1-[0.25+0.28-0.08]=0.55

2)

The computers of seven faculty members in a certain department are to be replaced. Three of the faculty members have selected laptop machines and the other four have chosen desktop machines. Suppose that only two of the setups can be done on a particular day, and the two computers to be set up are randomly selected from the seven.

a. What is the probability that both selected setups are for laptop machines?

What I did was:

A= 1st is laptop
B= 2nd is laptop
P(A intersection B)= (3/7) * (2/6) = 1/7

b. What is the probability that at least one computer of each type is chosen for setup?
This one confuses me because I know he said "at least one" means the union of two events, but the question says "at least one computer of each type is chosen"... and since the problem states that two computers will be chosen each day, is is still the union of two events?

What I did:

A=laptop
B=desktop

1) P[ (A intersect B) union with (B intersect A) ]= (3/7)*(4/7) + (4/7)*(3/7)= 24/49

then I did it this way

2) Prob. ot at least one computer of each type chosen=
1 - [ (A intersect A) + (B intersect B) ] =1 - [ (3/7)(3/7) + (4/7)(4/7)] = 24/49

3)

The proportions of blood phenotypes in the U.S. population are as follows:
A= 0.40, B= 0.11, AB= 0.04, O=0.45

Assuming that the phenotypes of two randomly selected individuals are independent of one another,

A. what is the probability that both phenotypes are O?

what I did: 0.45*0.45= 0.20

B. What is the probability that the phenotypes of two randomly selected individuals match?
What I did:

Added the probabilities of
(A intersect A) + (B intersect B) + (AB intersect AB) + (O intersect O)=

0.40*0.40 + 0.11*0.11 + 0.04*0.04 + 0.45*0.45= 0.38

4)

Consider the system of components in the accompanying picture. Components 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 are connected in series (call these subsystems 12 & 34). A subsystem will work only if both components work. In order for the entire system to function, it must be the case that at least one subsystem works.

Suppose that each individual component functions independently of all other components and each component functions with probability 0.8.

A. What is the probability that subsystem 12 does not work or P( A1Compliment 'union' A2Compliment)?

What I did:

0.2 +0.2= 0.40

B. Find the probability that the entire system functions or P( A12 'union' A34)?
What I did:

1- P( A12Compliment 'intersection' A34Compliment)=

1- [ P (A1Compliment 'union' A2Compliment) 'intersect' P ( A3Compliment 'union'
A4Compliment)] = 1- [ 0.40 * 0.40] = 1- 0.16= 0.84

I don't know what I'm doing...Thanks for your assistance!

Physics news on Phys.org
A) Prob of (A2Compliment 'intersection' A3Compliment)

I'm confused with this one. I did draw a Venn diagram.
Am I supposed to say...

A2compliment * A3 compliment= 0.75*0.72=0.54.
Or compute it as 1- P( the union of A2 with A3)= 1-[0.25+0.28-0.08]=0.55

The second method is correct. The first method is incorrect unless A and B are independent.

2)

The computers of seven faculty members in a certain department are to be replaced. Three of the faculty members have selected laptop machines and the other four have chosen desktop machines. Suppose that only two of the setups can be done on a particular day, and the two computers to be set up are randomly selected from the seven.

a. What is the probability that both selected setups are for laptop machines?

What I did was:

A= 1st is laptop
B= 2nd is laptop
P(A intersection B)= (3/7) * (2/6) = 1/7

Correct.

b. What is the probability that at least one computer of each type is chosen for setup?
This one confuses me because I know he said "at least one" means the union of two events, but the question says "at least one computer of each type is chosen"... and since the problem states that two computers will be chosen each day, is is still the union of two events?

What I did:

A=laptop
B=desktop

1) P[ (A intersect B) union with (B intersect A) ]= (3/7)*(4/7) + (4/7)*(3/7)= 24/49

then I did it this way

2) Prob. ot at least one computer of each type chosen=
1 - [ (A intersect A) + (B intersect B) ] =1 - [ (3/7)(3/7) + (4/7)(4/7)] = 24/49

You have to be more careful with your events. "A = laptop" and "B = desktop" are ambiguous, because the probabilities of these events will change depending on which combination of events is chosen.

Try it this way:

A = 1st is laptop
complement of A = 1st is desktop

B = 2nd is laptop
complement of B = 2nd is desktop

Then you could calculate using either of your methods:

[tex]P[(A \cap B^c) \cup (B \cap A^c)][/tex]
or
[tex]1 - P[(A \cap B) \cup (A^c \cap B^c)][/tex]

nontradstuden said:
3)

The proportions of blood phenotypes in the U.S. population are as follows:
A= 0.40, B= 0.11, AB= 0.04, O=0.45

Assuming that the phenotypes of two randomly selected individuals are independent of one another,

A. what is the probability that both phenotypes are O?

what I did: 0.45*0.45= 0.20

Correct.

B. What is the probability that the phenotypes of two randomly selected individuals match?
What I did:

Added the probabilities of
(A intersect A) + (B intersect B) + (AB intersect AB) + (O intersect O)=

0.40*0.40 + 0.11*0.11 + 0.04*0.04 + 0.45*0.45= 0.38

Correct.

4)

Consider the system of components in the accompanying picture. Components 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 are connected in series (call these subsystems 12 & 34). A subsystem will work only if both components work. In order for the entire system to function, it must be the case that at least one subsystem works.

Suppose that each individual component functions independently of all other components and each component functions with probability 0.8.

A. What is the probability that subsystem 12 does not work or P( A1Compliment 'union' A2Compliment)?

What I did:

0.2 +0.2= 0.40

No, you can't just add the probabilities unless the events are mutually exclusive, i.e. unless it's impossible for both components to fail. In general, you need to use:

[tex]P(A \cup B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A \cap B)[/tex]

B. Find the probability that the entire system functions or P( A12 'union' A34)?
What I did:

1- P( A12Compliment 'intersection' A34Compliment)=

1- [ P (A1Compliment 'union' A2Compliment) 'intersect' P ( A3Compliment 'union'
A4Compliment)]
Correct up to this point, but this part is wrong:

= 1- [ 0.40 * 0.40]
for the same reason I noted above.

@jbunniii

Thanks a lot for your help.

I'll correct it.

What is the difference between probability and statistics?

Probability is the branch of mathematics that deals with the likelihood of an event occurring. It involves predicting the chances of a specific outcome based on known information. Statistics, on the other hand, is the science of collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting data. It involves using data to make inferences or draw conclusions about a larger population.

What are the basic concepts of probability?

The basic concepts of probability include sample space, events, outcomes, and probability rules. Sample space is the set of all possible outcomes of an experiment. Events are subsets of the sample space. Outcomes are the individual elements or results of an experiment. Probability rules, such as the addition rule and multiplication rule, help calculate the likelihood of an event occurring.

What are the types of probability?

The three main types of probability are theoretical, experimental, and subjective. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical principles and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data collected through experiments or observations. Subjective probability is based on personal judgments or opinions.

How is probability used in real life?

Probability has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used in fields such as finance, insurance, weather forecasting, and sports. For example, insurance companies use probability to calculate the likelihood of a person making a claim, and weather forecasters use probability to predict the chances of rain. In sports, probability is used to determine the odds of a team winning a game.

What are some common misconceptions about statistics and probability?

One common misconception is that statistics and probability are only useful in math-based fields. In reality, they are used in a wide range of disciplines, including social sciences, business, and healthcare. Another misconception is that statistics and probability can provide definitive answers. In reality, they are tools for making informed decisions based on available data, but they cannot predict outcomes with 100% certainty.