Exploring Electrostatic Charge: Why I'm Getting Shocked in My Lab

• Thread starter karthik3k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charged
In summary, I was getting a little electric shock when I touched metal objects near the screen of my computer. I can confirm this, by touching metal frames which are earthed. The shock was greater when I touched frames that were grounded to the floor. I never had this outside my lab. The temperature has nothing to do with it.
karthik3k
My lab is maintaine at 20 deg. When i go near the computer screen, I am getting charged!
I can confirm this, by touching metal frames which are earthed.
I get a great shock!
Why is this so?
I never had this outside my lab.
Does the temperature have something to do with this behaviour ?

Can someone explain the physics behind this ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of upholstery does the chair you sit on have ?

One thing that may definitely be a factor is the reduced humidity in the room. An air conditioner often removes water from the air (depending on the dew point of the air and the the outlet temperature of the AC), making the lab less humid than the outside. It is easier for static to build up under conditions of lower humidity (especially now in the winter, when the humidity is generally low), because water usually provides a grounding path. In labs (such as mine) where it is dangerous to have static build up, it is essential that the humidity be controlled above 40%.

Is there by any way i can avoid it other than by changing the humidity ?

You have to pick up the charge from somewhere. It may be a woollen cushion on a seat, or something like that. If you can identify where you pick up charge, you can avoid that by some tiny modification.

Until you figure out how you are getting charged (and even afterwards, if you wish), you can periodically discharge yourself quite painlessly, if you discharge through somthing like a bunch of keys. The trick is to maximize the area of contact between your hand and the metal object that it touches (in this case, the keys) - grip the keys firmly in your hand and touch it to a metal frame. You will discharge just as before, but without the pain - since you are reducing the current density, and spreading out the current over several receptor neurons in your hand rather than concentrating it over just a few.

Try wearing leather soled shoes instead of rubber. Photongod

Gokul43201 said:
One thing that may definitely be a factor is the reduced humidity in the room. An air conditioner often removes water from the air (depending on the dew point of the air and the the outlet temperature of the AC), making the lab less humid than the outside. It is easier for static to build up under conditions of lower humidity (especially now in the winter, when the humidity is generally low), because water usually provides a grounding path. In labs (such as mine) where it is dangerous to have static build up, it is essential that the humidity be controlled above 40%.
This would be my bet as well. Indoor humidity in the winter can be as low as 10% and has a noticeable effect on production of static electricity.
karthik3k said:
Is there by any way i can avoid it other than by changing the humidity ?
If the lab is important enough, you can request a humidifier. Static electricity is, of course, bad for electrical equipment.

We can't chang the humidity coz my lab works with nano bio-molecules.
I think I am getting charged by the computer monitor. or the instruments?

Hello karthik3k,

do you touch the screen and afterwards, if you touch a metal object,
you get a little electric shock?

Or do you touch the metal frame while having one hand at the computer
screen?

nope...
I din touch computer screen...
n i never touch comp n metal surface (earth) simultaneously!

FAQ: Exploring Electrostatic Charge: Why I'm Getting Shocked in My Lab

1. Why do I keep getting shocked in my lab?

The most likely reason for getting shocked in your lab is due to the buildup of electrostatic charge. This can occur when different materials come into contact and rub against each other, causing a transfer of electrons. As a result, you may experience a shock when you touch a conductive surface or another person.

2. What causes electrostatic charge in a lab environment?

Electrostatic charge in a lab can be caused by a variety of factors such as friction, separation of materials, and changes in humidity. For example, walking on carpeted floors can generate static electricity due to the friction between your shoes and the carpet fibers.

3. How can I prevent getting shocked in my lab?

To prevent getting shocked in your lab, you can take several precautions such as wearing anti-static clothing or shoes, using grounding straps or mats, and keeping the humidity levels in the lab between 40-60%. You can also avoid wearing clothing made of synthetic materials and regularly clean surfaces to remove any potential charge buildup.

4. What are the potential dangers of electrostatic charge in a lab?

Electrostatic charge can pose several dangers in a lab environment. It can damage sensitive electronic equipment, cause fires or explosions in the presence of flammable materials, and even harm living organisms. It is essential to be aware of the potential hazards and take precautions to prevent them.

5. Are there any benefits to exploring electrostatic charge in a lab?

Yes, exploring electrostatic charge in a lab can have many benefits, including gaining a better understanding of how it works and how to control it. This knowledge can be applied to various industries, such as electronics, healthcare, and manufacturing, to improve safety and efficiency. Additionally, studying electrostatic charge can also lead to the development of new technologies and products.

Back