Electrostatic discharge current

In summary: Thank you for your email. In summary, when an electrically charged object, like a rubber balloon or even the human body, is subjected to a high power low voltage DC source, like a car battery, a person can get a painful shock or even die. The human body is complicated to model, but it is possible to approximate it to a resistor of very high value if the current only flows through the skin. However, the only explanation that I can come up with is that a charged object acts as a capacitor with very little capacitance, which allows it to discharge very quickly, leading to a very short pulse of a realtively high peak current (total power dissipation being very low). On the other hand, a
Nicolas_1994
I understand that electrically charged objects such as a rubber balloon or even the human body can hold several thousands of volts.

What's troubling me is that I know the current that results from an electrostatic discharge is not enough to cause serious damage or kill a human, yet if you touch a high power low voltage DC source you can get a painful shock or even die.

I know that the human body is complicated to model, but I imagine that, provided the current only flows through the skin (little change in resistivity), we could approximate it to a resistor of very high value (several kOhms).

That being said, the only explanation that I can come up with is that a charged object acts as a capacitor with very little capacitance, which allow it to discharge very quickly, leading to a very short pulse of a realtively high peak current (total power dissipation being very low). On the other hand the DC source can provide a steady current that shoud be enough to hurt.

In short, an ESD only provides current for a very short period of time, not resulting in any damage, while DC sources can maintain the current, resulting in greater damages.

Please, if any of you could shed some light into this matter, I'd be very greatful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi There
welcome to PF :smile:

Nicolas_1994 said:
yet if you touch a high power low voltage DC source you can get a painful shock or even die.

what is your definition of that ?

12V car battery that can deliver 900A won't hurt me if I touch the terminals

Nicolas_1994 said:
I know that the human body is complicated to model, but I imagine that, provided the current only flows through the skin (little change in resistivity), we could approximate it to a resistor of very high value (several kOhms).

dry skin resistance is in the Meg Ohms range

Nicolas_1994 said:
That being said, the only explanation that I can come up with is that a charged object acts as a capacitor with very little capacitance, which allow it to discharge very quickly, leading to a very short pulse of a realtively high peak current (total power dissipation being very low). On the other hand the DC source can provide a steady current that shoud be enough to hurt.

no, instead consider the other option that the several 1000's of volts is enough to overcome the skin resistance and allow a small current (VERY SMALL) to flow

Nicolas_1994 said:
In short, an ESD only provides current for a very short period of time, not resulting in any damage, while DC sources can maintain the current, resulting in greater damages.

sorta, sort of not :wink:

consider a lightning discharge VERY brief, very large voltages and currents, and can do horrific amounts of damage

Dave

Likes Nicolas_1994

1. What is electrostatic discharge (ESD) current?

Electrostatic discharge current is a sudden flow of electric charge between two objects with different electric potentials, such as between a person and a metal object. It can occur when one object with a high amount of static electricity comes into contact with another object with a lower amount of static electricity.

2. What causes electrostatic discharge current?

ESD current is caused by an imbalance of electric charges on the surface of objects. This can be the result of friction, pressure, or separation of materials. It can also be caused by environmental factors such as humidity and temperature.

3. How does electrostatic discharge current affect electronic devices?

ESD current can damage electronic devices by creating rapid changes in voltage and current, which can disrupt the normal functioning of the device's components. It can cause malfunctions, data loss, or complete failure of the device.

4. How can electrostatic discharge current be prevented?

ESD current can be prevented by using antistatic materials, such as wrist straps and mats, to ground oneself and any objects being handled. Proper handling and packaging of electronic devices can also prevent ESD damage.

5. What is the importance of controlling electrostatic discharge current in a laboratory setting?

In a laboratory setting, controlling ESD current is crucial to prevent damage to sensitive electronic equipment and ensure accurate experimental results. It also helps to ensure the safety of personnel working with high-voltage equipment.