I'm getting garbage values while reading matrices from a file

Hi All,
While trying to read a matrix from data file using fortran90 code ,I get garbage values and a backtrace error.

Error termination. Backtrace:
#0 0x7f4a4de3631a
#1 0x7f4a4de36ec5
#2 0x7f4a4de3768d
#3 0x7f4a4dfa4d42
#4 0x7f4a4dfa6ad5
#5 0x7f4a4dfa80f9
#6 0x56040bbeae57
#7 0x56040bbeaf93
#8 0x7f4a4da4bb96
#9 0x56040bbeaa29
#10 0xffffffffffffffff

The code I use is
read_file.f90:
program read_file
implicit none
integer :: ios,i,j
character (len =40) :: str_name
character (len=1000) :: line
integer , dimension (10) :: vect
real ,  dimension (11,16) :: hamilt
str_name = ' OVERLAP MATRIX - CELL N.   1(  0  0  0)'
open(unit=20,FILE='data.txt',iostat=ios,status='old')
if ( ios /= 0 ) stop "Error opening inputfile"
    do
      read(20,'(A)',end=100) line
          if (line(1:40) == str_name ) then
           write (*,*) "found line"
           write (*,*) line
          !read (20,*) (a(i,j), j = 1,16))
          do i = 0,10
                  read (20,*,end =100) (hamilt(i,j), j=1,16)
                  write (*,*) hamilt(i,j)
               enddo
           endif
enddo
100 close(20)
end program
I attached my data file. I want to read the matrix that starts after str_name.
Kindly help me in understanding the error in my code. thank you.

Attachments

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Are you reading this files into some other software, say, Excel, or is this self-contained?

Are you reading this files into some other software, say, Excel, or is this self-contained?
@WWGD I just want to read them and write them in a seperate txt file.

DrClaude

Mentor
Fortran:
          do i = 0,10
                  read (20,*,end =100) (hamilt(i,j), j=1,16)
                  write (*,*) hamilt(i,j)
          enddo
1st error: i starts at zero, but Fortran array indices start at 1.
2nd error: the structure in the file doesn't follow what you are doing here. The outer loop should go from i = 1 to 16, then the inner loop should go from 1 to min(i,10). You then have to add code to read the rest of the matrix (since only the first 10 columns are found in the first block).

DrClaude

Mentor
Forgot the third error: you are neglecting to read the index that appears to the left of the matrix elements.

1st error: i starts at zero, but Fortran array indices start at 1.
2nd error: the structure in the file doesn't follow what you are doing here. The outer loop should go from i = 1 to 16, then the inner loop should go from 1 to min(i,10). You then have to add code to read the rest of the matrix (since only the first 10 columns are found in the first block).
I rectified the code to address the errors, but I still get segmentation faults.
Code:
 read (20,*) (vecy(i), j = 1,10) ! read column index
          do i = 1,16
             do j = 1,min(i,10)
                 read(20,*,end=100) vecx(i) , hamilt(i,j) ! row index and matrix elements
                  write (*,*) hamilt(i,j)
               enddo
          enddo
         endif

DrClaude

Mentor
You can't read vecx inside the j loop. You have to use an implicit loop as before.

You can't read vecx inside the j loop. You have to use an implicit loop as before.
reading it out the loop is giving a fortran runtime error.

DrClaude

Mentor
Fortran:
read (20,*,end =100) vecx(i), (hamilt(i,j), j=1,min(i,10))

Fortran:
read (20,*,end =100) vecx(i), (hamilt(i,j), j=1,min(i,10))
It worked Thank you. Could you kindly recommend a book or site or some material from where I can learn fortran efficiently. Thank you.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wow, I thought Fortran was a dead language outside of dealing with legacy systems.

DrClaude

Mentor
It worked Thank you. Could you kindly recommend a book or site or some material from where I can learn fortran efficiently. Thank you.
A few good links:

But if I may, I would like to point out that the problem you were having has nothing to do with Fortran per se. I have a feeling you would have stumbled whichever language was used. It is important to decompose what needs to be done step by step and then program these steps.

Wow, I thought Fortran was a dead language outside of dealing with legacy systems.
Far from it. Especially with the newer versions of Fortran, the language has now most of the features of modern languages. I would say that for numerical computations, it is still one of the best options available.

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
Gold Member
No, not dead at all, my lab uses it exclusively for large scale computational efforts. I'd convert to C++ but I'm the youngest member of my group and the other 4 members don't know a line of C/C++, so we are continuing with Fortran for the time being, when they start to retire, we'll convert over.