1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm struggling on manipulating kinematics

1. Feb 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the equations X=X0+v0t+1/2at^2 and v=v0t+at, show that an expression for v that has no explicit dependence on time can be written as v=+-√v0^2+2a(X-X0)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought I would manipulate the first given equation to be X-X0/t = [1/2(v-v0)] but as I got to the end it didn't work. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Please show us in detail your work. We can try to help if you show your work to us. :smile:

4. Feb 4, 2016 #3

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Shouldn't this be v=v0+at?
    I believe taking square on both the sides of this equation would help.

5. Feb 4, 2016 #4
    I took X=X0+v0t+1/2at^2 and separated v0t because v=v0+at so it can just say vt . I then subtracted X0 from both sides and divided by t on both sides. My final equation was X-X0/t=[1/2(v+v0)]

6. Feb 4, 2016 #5
    Yes, sorry I made a typo

7. Feb 4, 2016 #6
    I manipulated the wrong equation

8. Feb 5, 2016 #7
    the standard notation is v=u+at and s=ut+1/2*a*t2. Express t=(v-u)/a, substitute in s eqn, simplify and you get the answer. v2-u2=2as.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted