1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not sure why I can't use v=v0 + at on this problem.

1. Sep 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Freight trains can produce only relatively small acceleration and decelerations.

(a) What is the final velocity of a freight train that accelerates at a rate of 0.0400 m/s^2 for 8.00 min, starting with an initial velocity of 4.00 m/s?

2. Relevant equations

v=v0 + at
    x=x0 +v0t +1/2at^2
    v^2=v0^2 +2a(x-x0)

3. The attempt at a solution

Why can't i use the first equation I listed to solve this problem? Using that equation, you end up with v = 76.8 m/s

If you first use the second equation, and then the third equation, you end up with v = 23.2 m/s

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2014 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

The first eqn gives the same as the 2nd and third.

v = 76.8 m/s is wrong, 23.2 m/s is right you may have pressed a wrong button on your calculator.

v=v0 + at
    v = 4 m/s + (0.04 m/s^2)*(8 min * 60s/min) = 23.2 m/s

4. Sep 14, 2014 #3

olivermsun

Science Advisor

The first equation is exactly what you're supposed to use. Using the second and third seems roundabout.

But how are you getting 76.8 m/s with the first equation? Can you show your work?

5. Sep 14, 2014 #4
    Oh goodness, it's been a long weekend haha. I accidentally set it up as 4 m/s TIMES (0.04m/s^2)(480s).

Thanks guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted