Image seen by human eye through a convex lens

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a convex lens and its effects on images. The observer will see an inverted real image when the object is beyond 2f away from the lens. The discussion also mentions the impact of diverging and converging rays on the appearance of the image and how the observer's position affects it. The question also asks about the perception of magnification when the observer moves towards or away from the image. The expert provides a brief summary of the main points and mentions that the same principles apply to any object that can be seen.
mayer
Greetings,

I don't have a magnifying glass/convex lens otherwise I would try to confirm this by experiment. Maybe I'll get one soon but to get things started. Let's say you have an object, with its own light source, and a convex lens with focal point f. The object is beyond 2f away from the lens. You, the observer, are on the other side of the lens. If you put a screen at a position determined by the thin lens equation, which in this case will be somewhere between f and 2f on your side of the lens, you will get the inverted real image.
Alright that's my setup not the real question but can someone confirm that the above is correct anyways? Thanks, still knew to this topic. Now for the actual question.
How will your view of the image change at three different locations; behind where the real image is focused, at the position of where the real image is focused, and in front of where the real image is focused.
1) When you are behind the real image focus point, the rays are diverging and you will view the object upside down, correct?
2) I am not sure how to approach the other two positions, however. At the point where the real image is focused, its been, well, focused, and our eyes are made to converge diverging rays. Similarly, in front of the real image, the rays are converging, which I am not sure how our eyes would respond(by attempting to converge less?).
3) Also, how do we perceive the magnification of the image when the observer is moving towards/away from converging vs diverging rays.

Very long question, I don't expect you to respond to all of it but any/all response is appreciated. Would clear things up on this topic quite a bit. Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
1. you view the image inverted. It will be hanging there in space.
2. Your visual system needs diverging light to get a clear picture.
So if you don't have diverging rays the picture is...

3. The effect on the appearance of the image when moving towards and away from it is exactly the same as the effect of moving towards or away from anything that you can see. It gets closer and further away from you. Provided you are in a position to be able to see the image.

I see, Thanks! You recently answered another question in another thread of mine too thanks again.

What is a convex lens?

A convex lens is a type of lens that is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges. It is also known as a converging lens because it causes parallel rays of light to converge or come together at a single point.

How does a convex lens affect the image seen by the human eye?

A convex lens helps to magnify and clarify the image seen by the human eye. This is because the lens bends and focuses the light that enters the eye, making the image appear larger and clearer.

What is the difference between a convex lens and a concave lens?

A convex lens is thicker in the middle and causes light rays to converge, while a concave lens is thinner in the middle and causes light rays to diverge or spread out. This results in different effects on the image seen by the human eye.

Can a convex lens be used to correct vision problems?

Yes, convex lenses are commonly used in eyeglasses and contact lenses to correct vision problems such as nearsightedness and farsightedness. These lenses help to focus light onto the retina, allowing for clearer vision.

What is the focal length of a convex lens?

The focal length of a convex lens is the distance between the lens and the point where parallel rays of light converge after passing through the lens. It is typically measured in millimeters and can vary depending on the curvature and thickness of the lens.