1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Imaging CDs, DVDs or other optical media under SEM

1. Jan 12, 2015 #1
    Greetings,

After getting some training I have access to my universities SEM facilities and I would like to image CDs and DVDs with it(, I know that these consist of many layer which may not be transparent to the e-beam so they might need some preparation. Does anyone have any idea? I am reluctant since I could not exactly figure out what kind of preparation is required for say CD-Rs CD-RWs or directly CD-ROMs. Any suggestions and help is appreciated.

P.S : I found this particular website which might give you a hint about the kind of preparation involved.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2015 #2
    Here is an idea of what you'll see

image027.JPG

4. Jan 14, 2015 #3
    Actually I got the following images where the track pitch is nearly the half of the value indicated on the web and your post (0.8μm ). In order to image the CD-R(Not a CD-ROM), first I broke it carefully then I proceed with the aluminium layer just under the label which did not give much of an image and later I decided give the polycarbonate surface a go and got the resulting images at different magnifications.

CD23.jpg CD24.jpg CD25.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  5. Jan 14, 2015 #4
    You have any idea why the track pitch was half of the value it should be?

6. Jan 15, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Track pitch is the full distance from one line center to another, not the width of those lines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook