Imaging optics and lowest possible angle video projection?

In summary, a telephoto lens may be the best approach for achieving a 1:1 magnification ratio of object to image size when projecting a Pocket Video Projector.
mudicokula
I have a very very unusual project requirement where I need a pocket video projection with the lowest possible projection angle or "longest possible throw-ratio".

It's a pocket DLP projector so goal is to have the beam remain ,as much as possible, almost the same size as the DLP matrix, for a 15 cm projection distance.

I had some luck with ordinary "12x" attachment telephoto lens for iphone and moving the stock projector lens way farther from the DLP matrix than originally inteded and having the telephoto attachment lens right after that. Results were good but projection still bigger than the DLP matrix but focusing was only achieved with a 50cm distance, not closer. I assume the inability to focus at closer distances could also have been from the positioning limits of the focus lens element on the telephoto attachment lens and the stock projector lens.

I guess my first question is what minimum projection angle is possible with DLP projections? I don't suppose it can be made to be the same size or even less than the DLP micromirror array itself for a 15cm throw distance?

Second question, is a telephoto lens the correct approach for achieving this desired result?

Science news on Phys.org
Here is a step-by-step description of how to find your lens requirement.

Above was found with: https://www.google.com/search?&q=lens+formula+calculator
(which found over 200 000 hits). Also try a search the "Lens Formula", which is the common name.

And welcome to PF!

Cheers,
Tom

imaging non-monochrome lenses are complicated, projector and camera lenses can have 6-8 or more elements. Sadly you can't just put one lens element to focus the projection beam to infinity.

Last edited:
mudicokula said:
I need a pocket video projection with the lowest possible projection angle or "longest possible throw-ratio".
IF you want a 1:1 magnification ratio of object to image size, the ratio of distances from object to lens and lens to screen need to be similar. A telephoto lens can reduce this a bit by shortening the projector lens tube a bit but it could be hard to beat the basic geometry.
Your Micromirror device is probably not all that cheap and you perhaps should consider spending a bit on a lens. It is possible that a 'Macro' lens would do the job of a 1:1 ratio. Second hand camera lenses are all over eBay. It could be worth a look.

1. What is imaging optics and how does it relate to video projection?

Imaging optics is the study of how light behaves as it passes through lenses and other optical components, with the goal of producing clear and accurate images. In video projection, imaging optics is used to focus and shape the light from the projector onto the screen, allowing for a clear and crisp image to be displayed.

2. What is the lowest possible angle for video projection?

The lowest possible angle for video projection depends on the specific optics and components being used, but generally it is around 15-20 degrees. This means that the projector should be placed at least 15-20 degrees above or below the screen for optimal projection.

3. How does the angle of projection affect the quality of the image?

The angle of projection can greatly affect the quality of the image. If the angle is too high or too low, it can result in distortion or a skewed image. The ideal angle for projection is usually determined by the specific optics and components being used, and it is important to follow manufacturer guidelines for optimal image quality.

4. Can imaging optics improve the resolution of a projected image?

Yes, imaging optics can greatly improve the resolution of a projected image. By using high-quality lenses and precise focusing techniques, the image can be made sharper and more detailed. However, the resolution of the source material being projected also plays a major role in the overall image quality.

5. Are there any limitations to the lowest possible angle for video projection?

There are a few limitations to the lowest possible angle for video projection. One major limitation is the physical space and setup of the room. If the projector cannot be placed at the optimal angle, the image quality may suffer. Additionally, the type and quality of the optics and components being used can also affect the lowest possible angle for projection.