1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Imapct force in an inclined plane

1. Jan 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A transporter of mass m rolles down a hill with an incline of 20° for a distance of 10m before hitting a wall on the bottom of the hill.

2. Relevant equations

calculate the impact force.

3. The attempt at a solution
    This hw ask to simulate the impact in solidworks and i just need the calculation of the impact force. I know the potential energy of mgh is being converted to KE of 1/2mV^2 so i can't find the V at the bottom but i can find the impact force from this information. I think impact for is like an impulse and if i were given a contact time or the deformation of the wall or the transporter i could have foundd the force easily but I was wondering if anybody can help me to find the impact force with the given informations alone.?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2012 #2
    You are absolutely correct.
    You need some time of collision information so that you can calculate an impulse.
    In the absence of any given information I would make some 'sensible' estimates.......perhaps about 0.1 to 1.0 seconds

4. Jan 28, 2012 #3
    Thank you so much for the quick reply. Ill ask my prof about the time information then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook