Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Imapct force in an inclined plane

1. Jan 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A transporter of mass m rolles down a hill with an incline of 20° for a distance of 10m before hitting a wall on the bottom of the hill.

2. Relevant equations

calculate the impact force.

3. The attempt at a solution
    This hw ask to simulate the impact in solidworks and i just need the calculation of the impact force. I know the potential energy of mgh is being converted to KE of 1/2mV^2 so i can't find the V at the bottom but i can find the impact force from this information. I think impact for is like an impulse and if i were given a contact time or the deformation of the wall or the transporter i could have foundd the force easily but I was wondering if anybody can help me to find the impact force with the given informations alone.?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2012 #2
    You are absolutely correct.
    You need some time of collision information so that you can calculate an impulse.
    In the absence of any given information I would make some 'sensible' estimates.......perhaps about 0.1 to 1.0 seconds

4. Jan 28, 2012 #3
    Thank you so much for the quick reply. Ill ask my prof about the time information then.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook