Impact Force of a Horizontal Moving Projectile

In summary: When I apply that force, I get 24mm of deflection, a Max Stress of 2791 MPa, which would mean my F.S. is .06. So the cross beam will be bent significantly?I suppose that's what you get for stopping a 2x4 that moves at 50 km/h within 2.4 cm
JvandRWD
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
What is the correct way to calculate the impact force of a 2"x4" flying through the air and hitting a solid cross beam? The knowns are:

Velocity: 50 ft/sec

Distance To cross beam: 12 ft

2" x 4" Weight: 9 lbs

I don't know much the cross beam will deflect on impact, so the stopping distance is relatively unknown. I was planing on using F = KE/D = .5 * m * v2 / D, but without knowing the stopping distance after impact, I can't use it. Does anyone know how I should proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello J, :welcome:

Funny you mention the 12 ft (irrelevant) but say nothing about the cross beam.
Nor about how the 2x4 is oriented wrt the beam. No drawing ?

But you have the right plan: find out how much that cross beam deflects. Load of course depends on acceleration, so you have to iterate a bit.

Last edited:
Likes JvandRWD
In most cases effective mass of the beam has to be taken into account as well .

There are analytical and numerical methods for dealing with this type of problem .

Last edited:
BvU said:
Hello J, :welcome:

Funny you mention the 12 ft (irrelevant) but say nothing about the cross beam.
Nor about how the 2x4 is oriented wrt the beam. No drawing ?

But you have the right plan: find out how much that cross beam deflects. Load of course depends on acceleration, so you have to iterate a bit.

I did a beam bending calculation on the cross beam, but I am unsure of what size force to apply. Is there a range you'd suggest? I started with a load of 214 lbf (950 N), and found that the beam will deflect .0235" (.5981mm). The impact location is also the direct center of the cross beam (974mm/2).

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Is this homework ? If not,
I'm playing dumb and calculate a spring coefficient from that : ##k = F/dx = 950 / 5.8\times 10^{-4} = 1.6 \times 10^{6} ## N/m

If the kinetic energy of the 2x4 is converted to compression of a spring with such a spring constant you've found the deflection and thereby the force exerted on the beam -- if that's still in the elastic range of the brass. If not, it gets bent or dented...

I find yield strength 200+ MPa.

Likes JvandRWD
BvU said:
Is this homework ? If not,
I'm playing dumb and calculate a spring coefficient from that : ##k = F/dx = 950 / 5.8\times 10^{-4} = 1.6 \times 10^{6} ## N/m

If the kinetic energy of the 2x4 is converted to compression of a spring with such a spring constant you've found the deflection and thereby the force exerted on the beam -- if that's still in the elastic range of the brass. If not, it gets bent or dented...

I find yield strength 200+ MPa.

This is not homework. I did try the spring method you suggested and got the following:
##KE = PE, (.5(4.082kg)(15.24m/s)^{2})/x = .5(1.588 \times 10^{6} N/m)(x^{2}), x=.084 m##

Then I applied that distance to the spring constant and found my force to be ~133422N. This seems quite high for this. Am I doing something wrong?

That yield strength is from the verified material properties from the vendor.

I seem to remember other values: ##E_{\rm kin} ={1\over 2} 4.08 *15.2^2 = 474## J, so ##k ={ 2 E_{\rm kin} \over x^2 } \ \ \Rightarrow \ \ x = \sqrt {2 E_{\rm kin} \over k} = 24 ## mm.
So at the end the force would be 40 kN for the elastic spring scenario. Not all that realistic, but a ball-park figure

BvU said:
I seem to remember other values: ##E_{\rm kin} ={1\over 2} 4.08 *15.2^2 = 474## J, so ##k ={ 2 E_{\rm kin} \over x^2 } \ \ \Rightarrow \ \ x = \sqrt {2 E_{\rm kin} \over k} = 24 ## mm.

Ah yes, I forgot to get rid of the stopping distance in my original formula. So my force would be ~38120.71N, correct?

JvandRWD said:
Ah yes, I forgot to get rid of the stopping distance in my original formula. So my force would be ~38120.71N, correct?
When I apply that force, I get 24mm of deflection, a Max Stress of 2791 MPa, which would mean my F.S. is .06. So the cross beam will be bent significantly?

I suppose that's what you get for stopping a 2x4 that moves at 50 km/h within 2.4 cm :redface:

1. What is impact force?

Impact force is the force that an object exerts upon impact with another object. It is the product of the mass of the object and its acceleration.

2. How is impact force calculated?

The impact force of a horizontal moving projectile can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the impact force, m is the mass of the projectile, and a is the acceleration.

3. What factors affect the impact force of a horizontal moving projectile?

The impact force of a horizontal moving projectile is affected by its mass, velocity, and the material properties of the objects involved in the impact.

4. How does the angle of impact affect the impact force?

The angle of impact can affect the impact force of a horizontal moving projectile as it can change the direction and magnitude of the force. A steeper angle of impact will result in a higher impact force compared to a more shallow angle.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding impact force?

Understanding impact force is important in many fields, such as engineering, sports, and accident reconstruction. It can help determine the safety and effectiveness of structures and equipment, evaluate the force of a collision in sports, and determine the cause and severity of accidents.