Impact force of an object dropped on a steel toed shoe

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of impact force and its relation to the strength of a pair of steel toed shoes. The speaker questions whether it would be more informative to measure the shoe's ability to absorb energy instead of just the force it can withstand. They also bring up the complication of calculating this information due to variables such as time and displacement. The conversation ends with a clarification on the actual unit of measurement for the shoes.
dan28029
I often hear about collisions in terms of impact force. For instance, "the boxer delivered a punch with 100 lbs of force." I have a pair of steel toed shoes that are rated to withstand 70 lbs of force (311 N). But if the shoe experiences an impact instead of being loaded very gradually, wouldn't it be more informative to talk about how much energy the shoe can absorb without failing?

I know that a falling 31.7 kg mass will experience a gravitational force of 311 N, but that is not equal to the force required by the shoe to stop the mass, correct? Because the shoe must dissipate the kinetic energy that the mass has acquired, and the magnitude of the required force depends on how the shoe applies that force (over what time period and what displacement).

Let's say we wanted to know how large of a mass we could drop from 5 meters high without having the shoe fail. It seems to me like we could not calculate this, because we do not know the details about how the shoe applies the force to the mass.

I've had three years of classes in undergraduate mechanical engineering, but I'm still trying to fully wrap my head around Newtonian physics. Any light you guys could shed on this would be awesome, thanks in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, now that I looked at the specification myself, I see that the shoes are rated up to 70 FOOT lbs. That makes more sense to me

1. What is impact force?

Impact force refers to the amount of force exerted on an object when it collides with another object. It is typically measured in Newtons (N) and is influenced by factors such as the mass and velocity of the object.

2. How is impact force calculated?

Impact force can be calculated using the formula F= m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. In the case of an object being dropped on a steel toed shoe, the mass and velocity of the object can be used to calculate the impact force.

3. What is the purpose of using a steel toed shoe?

A steel toed shoe is designed to protect the wearer's feet from impact or compression injuries. The reinforced steel toe provides a barrier between the foot and any heavy objects that may fall on it, reducing the impact force and potential injury.

4. How does the material of the shoe affect the impact force?

The material of the shoe can have an impact on the amount of force that is transferred to the foot. A steel toed shoe, which is made of a rigid and strong material, can absorb more force and distribute it over a larger area, reducing the impact force on the foot.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the impact force on a steel toed shoe?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the impact force on a steel toed shoe, such as the height from which the object is dropped, the angle at which it falls, and the surface on which it lands. These factors can impact the velocity and mass of the object, and therefore, the impact force on the shoe.