Impact velocity after exiting circular motion

In summary: The tangential speed of the mass at the time of release will determine the impact velocity on the housing. The impact angle may also play a role in the damage to the housing. The centrifugal force does not contribute to any radial acceleration in this problem. In summary, the problem involves determining the velocity of a mass released from a rotating disk and its impact on a housing, taking into account the force F_a and tangential velocity. The impact angle may also be relevant for the damage to the housing.
dogge76
Hello,

i want to determine the velocity with which an object moves after it has departed a rotating disk. In my problem there is a disk rotating with the angular speed w. On this disk there is a drilling in which a mass m is positioned. In case the thread in the drilling fails i need to determine the velocity with which this mass hits the housing. During the rotation there is a force F_a additionally to the centrifugal force. My idea is to determine the tangential velocity with v_t=rw and with F=ma i can determine the acceleration due to the force F_a. Do i need to determine another accelerations or velocities. I am doing a rough calculation therefore the calculation doesn't need to consider all possible effects. I inserted a scetch of the problem. I would very welcome some help. thanks

Attachments

• kreis.png
    kreis.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
@dogge76 Welcome to this forum, sorry for weird response above. I don't have time to look carefully at the problem now, but I'm sure someone will. (Maybe next time post it in the "homework" section using the template offered there.)

Last edited by a moderator:
dogge76 said:
During the rotation there is a force F_a additionally to the centrifugal force.
Does F_a still act after the mass is released? If not, then the mass will hit the housing with the tangential speed it had on release (ignoring air resistance etc.). What might be relevant for the damage to the housing is the impact angle, which depends on the radii of disc and housing.

@Krylov thanks for the welcome. I don't mind what the other guy said. I don't have time for such folly.

@A.T. No F_a doesn't really act after the mass is released but i think it does partially. This force comes from an oil pressure which means that some force will still act after release. The impact angle isn't very interesting at this point. But i don't really understand why it will only hit with the tangential speed, what about the force F_a ? In the very first moment it will surely accelerate the mass , wouldn't it ? And doesn't the centrigual force contribute to some radial acceleration ? i have added a scetch. a_a means the acceleration due to the Force F_a . a_r comes from the rotation.

Attachments

• beschleunigung.png
    beschleunigung.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 378
dogge76 said:
No F_a doesn't really act after the mass is released but i think it does partially.
You have to make up your mind here.

dogge76 said:
And doesn't the centrigual force contribute to some radial acceleration ?.
If you analyse it from the inertial frame, there is no centrifugal force.

No F_a won't act after the mass is released

1. What is impact velocity after exiting circular motion?

Impact velocity after exiting circular motion refers to the velocity of an object after it has completed a circular motion and has collided with another object or surface. It is a measure of the speed and direction at which the object hits the other object or surface.

2. How is impact velocity after exiting circular motion calculated?

The impact velocity after exiting circular motion can be calculated using the formula v = √(g * r), where v is the impact velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and r is the radius of the circular motion. This formula assumes that there is no air resistance or other external forces acting on the object.

3. What factors affect the impact velocity after exiting circular motion?

The impact velocity after exiting circular motion is affected by several factors such as the initial velocity of the object, the radius of the circular motion, the acceleration due to gravity, and the presence of any external forces like air resistance or friction. The angle of the object's trajectory upon exiting the circular motion also plays a role.

4. Can the impact velocity after exiting circular motion be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, the impact velocity after exiting circular motion can be greater than the initial velocity of the object if the object gains additional velocity from external forces such as gravity or air resistance. However, if there are no external forces acting on the object, the impact velocity will be equal to the initial velocity.

5. Why is it important to calculate the impact velocity after exiting circular motion?

Calculating the impact velocity after exiting circular motion is important in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and sports. It helps determine the potential damage or force of a collision, the distance an object will travel after exiting the circular motion, and the safety measures needed to prevent injuries or accidents.