Impedance matching and reflection

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of impedance matching in the context of light rays traveling through different media. It is stated that if the two media have the same impedance and magnetic effects are neglected, there will be no reflection. However, if the indices of refraction are different or the impedances are different, there will be reflection. The use of the Fresnel equations is also mentioned, with the rule of thumb being that the permeability must be unity for the refractive index matching condition to apply.
a b
Hello everybody,
I've often read that if a light ray travels from a medium 1 to a medium 2 and the two media have the same impedance, there is no reflected light at all, only transmitted light.
So i made some calculations assuming to have two media with two different refractive indexes but same impedance :I think there's no problem with it, if I have correctly understood the equations:

impedance Z1= sqrt( (mu_zero*mu_r1)/(epsilon_zero*epsilon_r1))
impedance Z2= sqrt( (mu_zero*mu_r2)/(epsilon_zero*epsilon_r2))
refractive index n1= sqrt(mu_r1*epsilon_r1)
refractive index n2= sqrt(mu_r2*epsilon_r2)

so i must choose:
mu_r1= k*mu_r2
epsilon_r1=k*epsilon_r2
with k a real number

I've chosen:

mu_r1=2
epsilon_r1=2
mu_r2=1
epsilon_r2=1

with these parameters, using the fresnel equations it turns out to me that if the incoming light ray is not perpendicular to the surface of separation between the two media, there may be some reflection; if t he angle is large enough there seems to be even total internal reflection.
I'm wrong with my calculations or it makes sense?
Maybe the rule I've read (impedance matching= no reflection) is valid only if the incoming ray is perpendicular to the separation surface?

Thank you

P.S: English is not my first language, excuse me if I don't write well.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
If the indices of refraction are different, there will be reflection. If the impedances are different, there will be reflection. I think the correct rule of thumb is "if the two media have the same impedance and magnetic effects are neglected, there will be no reflection." Magnetic effects are much rarer than dielectric effects in everyday materials (mu_r ≈ 1 much more often than epsilon_r ≈ 1) so that often in literature the magnetic effects are assumed to be negligible unless otherwise stated.

chrisbaird is right.

Fresnel equations (where the refractive index matching condition comes from) require the permeability to be unity.

Claude.

What is impedance matching?

Impedance matching is the process of adjusting the impedance of a load to match the impedance of a source in order to minimize signal reflection and maximize power transfer.

Why is impedance matching important?

Impedance matching is important because it ensures that the maximum amount of power is transferred from the source to the load, reducing signal reflection and maximizing signal quality.

What happens if there is a mismatch in impedance?

If there is a mismatch in impedance, some of the signal will be reflected back to the source, leading to signal loss and reduced signal quality. This can also cause issues such as standing waves and interference.

How is impedance matching achieved?

Impedance matching is achieved by using impedance matching networks, such as transformers, inductors, and capacitors, to adjust the impedance of the load to match the impedance of the source.

Can impedance matching be applied to all types of circuits?

Yes, impedance matching can be applied to all types of circuits, including AC, DC, and RF circuits. It is especially important in high-frequency circuits, where signal loss and interference are more likely to occur.