Strategy for interference problems

In summary, the method for achieving constructive interference at X using two sources of light involves keeping track of the phase angle of each light ray at points along its path and setting the difference of these phase angles to be a multiple of 2π. This may seem convoluted, but it is the most direct way to solve the problem.
etotheipi
For instance, consider two sources of light ##S_{1}## and ##S_{2}## where ##S_{1}## is emitting with a phase angle ##\frac{\pi}{4}## greater than ##S_{2}##. The light from ##S_{1}## travels a straight distance ##d_{1}## through a medium of refractive index ##n_{1}##. The light from ##S_{2}## travels a total distance ##d_{2}## through a medium of refractive index ##n_{2}##, reflecting off of a plane mirror as well. Please see the below diagram:

(N.B. I forgot to draw in a barrier, but assume light cannot travel directly from ##S_{2}## to X!)

IMG_0415.jpeg

Let's say we want constructive interference at X where the rays meet. The strategy I came up with is keeping track of the phase angle (modulo an uninteresting ##2\pi##) of each light ray at points along the path of each. So I would say that if we set the phase of ##S_{1}## to ##\frac{\pi}{4}## at some constant time, the phase angle at X on the first light ray would be

##\phi_{1} = \frac{\pi}{4} + 2\pi\frac{OPL_{1}}{\lambda}## (where ##\frac{OPL}{\lambda} = \frac{n_{1}d_{1}}{\lambda}## is the number of wavelengths along the path).

whilst the phase at X on the second wave would be

##\phi_{2} = 0 + 2\pi\frac{OPL_{2}}{\lambda} + \frac{\pi}{2}## (with the final term due to the reflection).

Finally, I'd set the difference to be a multiple of ##2\pi## and would go from there to solve the system. I can't help but think this is a really convoluted way of going about the question, and I was wondering if anyone had a better method? Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0415.jpeg
    IMG_0415.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 137
Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
The electric fields will add as vectors, and the way you have drawn it, the electric field vectors will be at nearly right angles to each other. The best I can tell, what you are trying to do will not work.

etotheipi said:
For instance, consider two sources of light ##S_{1}## and ##S_{2}## where ##S_{1}## is emitting with a phase angle ##\frac{\pi}{4}## greater than ##S_{2}##. The light from ##S_{1}## travels a straight distance ##d_{1}## through a medium of refractive index ##n_{1}##. The light from ##S_{2}## travels a total distance ##d_{2}## through a medium of refractive index ##n_{2}##, reflecting off of a plane mirror as well. Please see the below diagram:

(N.B. I forgot to draw in a barrier, but assume light cannot travel directly from ##S_{2}## to X!)

View attachment 255057

Let's say we want constructive interference at X where the rays meet. The strategy I came up with is keeping track of the phase angle (modulo an uninteresting ##2\pi##) of each light ray at points along the path of each. So I would say that if we set the phase of ##S_{1}## to ##\frac{\pi}{4}## at some constant time, the phase angle at X on the first light ray would be

##\phi_{1} = \frac{\pi}{4} + 2\pi\frac{OPL_{1}}{\lambda}## (where ##\frac{OPL}{\lambda} = \frac{n_{1}d_{1}}{\lambda}## is the number of wavelengths along the path).

whilst the phase at X on the second wave would be

##\phi_{2} = 0 + 2\pi\frac{OPL_{2}}{\lambda} + \frac{\pi}{2}## (with the final term due to the reflection).

Finally, I'd set the difference to be a multiple of ##2\pi## and would go from there to solve the system. I can't help but think this is a really convoluted way of going about the question, and I was wondering if anyone had a better method? Thank you in advance!
This is indeed correct and is the only way to do it. If it seems very convoluted, it is just that it is new. The only way to shorten it is to work directly with the difference of the phases at X (which is all that matters), but that really does not change all your reasoning.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the purpose of a strategy for interference problems?

A strategy for interference problems is designed to minimize or eliminate the negative effects of interference in scientific experiments or observations. This can include identifying potential sources of interference, developing methods to reduce or control interference, and analyzing data to determine the impact of interference on the results.

2. How do you identify potential sources of interference?

Potential sources of interference can be identified through careful planning and observation. This may involve conducting a thorough literature review to understand previous research on the topic, conducting pilot studies to identify any potential sources of interference, and using control groups or conditions to isolate and measure the effects of interference.

3. What are some common methods for reducing or controlling interference?

There are several methods that can be used to reduce or control interference, including physical barriers or shielding, using different measurement techniques or instruments, and controlling variables that may contribute to interference. Additionally, statistical techniques such as analysis of covariance can be used to account for the effects of interference in data analysis.

4. How can you determine the impact of interference on your results?

To determine the impact of interference on results, it is important to carefully analyze and interpret the data. This may involve comparing results from different conditions or groups, conducting statistical analyses to identify any significant differences, and considering the potential effects of interference on the observed patterns or trends in the data.

5. What steps should be taken to address interference in future experiments?

To address interference in future experiments, it is important to carefully document and analyze any potential sources of interference in the current study. This information can then be used to inform the design of future experiments, such as implementing additional controls or using different methods to reduce or eliminate interference. It may also be helpful to collaborate with other scientists or experts in the field to develop innovative strategies for addressing interference.