Impedance matching hydrophones and DAQs

In summary: Gohms) and a high output impedance (>10,000 Ohms).In summary, the impedance of a hydrophone should be much lower than the input impedance of an ADC channel on a DAQ. The input impedance of the DAQ should be high to avoid voltage drop. If the hydrophone and the ADC channel have the same impedance, then the preamplifier should have a low input impedance and a high output impedance.
izelkay
Hello,

I'm confused about the concept of impedance matching in regards with hydrophones and DAQs. If the input impedance to an ADC channel on a DAQ is very high, would I need whatever's being fed into it (hydrophone) to also need a high impedance? Or would it need a low impedance? I've tried researching this but can't find any concrete answers or explanations.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
izelkay said:
would I need whatever's being fed into it (hydrophone) to also need a high impedance? Or would it need a low impedance?

so, what is the make and model of your hydrophone ?
is it a high or low impedance source ?
have you got or looked for a datasheet for it ? as it would likely tell you these things

ADC's are generally a voltage driven device, and having a high impedance input is good for 2 reasons

1) higher voltage being developed across the high impedance input

2) It is a good thing for a voltage input, because when the input impedance is high compared to the source impedance then the
voltage level will not drop too much due to the loading effect of the ADC
there are other times for other types of circuits where maximum power transfer is what is required.
Times like this source impedance and load impedance are the same, ie ... matched.Dave

davenn said:
so, what is the make and model of your hydrophone ?
is it a high or low impedance source ?
have you got or looked for a datasheet for it ? as it would likely tell you these things

ADC's are generally a voltage driven device, and having a high impedance input is good for 2 reasons

1) higher voltage being developed across the high impedance input

2) It is a good thing for a voltage input, because when the input impedance is high compared to the source impedance then the
voltage level will not drop too much due to the loading effect of the ADC
there are other times for other types of circuits where maximum power transfer is what is required.
Times like this source impedance and load impedance are the same, ie ... matched.Dave
It's a Reson TC4013 hydrophone, and it's datasheet: http://www.teledyne-reson.com/download/hydrophone_data_sheets__/TC4013.pdf
gives me some information about its impedance at different frequencies. It's much lower than the ADC input of the DAQ (>100 Gohms). So would I need to make these impedances the same?

No, the impedances do not need to be the same unless you are working with RF frequencies (and not always even then). If the signal is a voltage you want the DAQ to have a high impedance (usually the higher the better).
That said, looking at the data sheet I am not at all sure that this hydrophone can be plugged directly into a DAQ. I don't know anything about hydrophones, but assuming they are similar to a condensed microphone you need a microphone amplifier before the DAQ.

f95toli said:
No, the impedances do not need to be the same unless you are working with RF frequencies (and not always even then). If the signal is a voltage you want the DAQ to have a high impedance (usually the higher the better).
That said, looking at the data sheet I am not at all sure that this hydrophone can be plugged directly into a DAQ. I don't know anything about hydrophones, but assuming they are similar to a condensed microphone you need a microphone amplifier before the DAQ.
Oh yes, sorry forgot to mention but I'll have the hydrophone go to a preamplifier first, then the DAQ. So would the preamplifier need a high input impedance and a low output impedance? I plan to design/build one

Last edited:
The microphone amplifier you presumably need is not just a simple voltage amplifier (and not all mic amps work well with condenser mics) meaning it is not just a question of input and output impedance. If you want to build one yourself you should find a suitable circuit diagram somewhere.

f95toli said:
The microphone amplifier you presumably need is not just a simple voltage amplifier (and not all mic amps work well with condenser mics) meaning it is not just a question of input and output impedance. If you want to build one yourself you should find a suitable circuit diagram somewhere.
Yes I know it won't be simple but I need to start somewhere and I thought impedance requirements was a suitable starting point, but I'm not sure how the input and output impedances should relate. Everywhere I search says something different or isn't clear.

For now I would just like to know how to relate the input/output impedance of a preamplifier if the output goes to a high impedance DAQ and the input to a 4013 hydrophone with frequency dependent impedance. How do I quantify and design for these?

izelkay said:
(>100 Gohms).
I'm guessing that is a typo... :smile:

berkeman said:
I'm guessing that is a typo... :smile:
Oh looks like the datasheet is more specific. 100Gohms in parallel with 10pF. Though I'm still not sure what to do with this information. I'm thinking the DAQ input impedance should be really high while the preamp output impedance should be really low since the DAQ is sensing voltage. Similarly, the preamp input impedance should be really high compared to the hydrophone output impedance. Am I on the right track there?

izelkay said:
Am I on the right track there?
Yep! :smile:

Likes izelkay
izelkay said:
I'm thinking the DAQ input impedance should be really high while the preamp output impedance should be really low since the DAQ is sensing voltage. Similarly, the preamp input impedance should be really high compared to the hydrophone output impedance. Am I on the right track there?

yes, that's what I said way back in post #2 :smile:which DAQ are you using ?

Dave

davenn said:
yes, that's what I said way back in post #2 :smile:which DAQ are you using ?

Dave
Will be interfacing with the NI 6356 next week, but ultimately plan to use an NI PCI-6123.

izelkay said:
NI 6356

presumably this ?
http://www.ni.com/datasheet/pdf/en/ds-163

interesting unit, haven't played with anything that complex for data acquisition

use something much more straight forward for data logging for my earthquake sensors ( seismometers)
8 channel and 16 bit capability
Dave

Last edited:
Likes izelkay

1. What is impedance matching and why is it important for hydrophones and DAQs?

Impedance matching is the process of matching the electrical impedance of a hydrophone (or any other device) with the impedance of the data acquisition system (DAQ) it is connected to. This is important because it ensures that there is minimal loss of signal and maximum transfer of energy between the two components. A mismatch in impedance can result in reflections and distortions in the signal, leading to inaccurate measurements.

2. How do you determine the impedance of a hydrophone and a DAQ?

The impedance of a hydrophone can be determined by measuring the resistance, capacitance, and inductance of the hydrophone using specialized equipment. The impedance of a DAQ can be found in the manufacturer's specifications or by using an impedance meter. It is also important to note that the impedance may vary depending on the frequency range of the signal being measured.

3. Can impedance mismatching damage my hydrophone or DAQ?

While it is possible for an impedance mismatch to cause damage to a hydrophone or DAQ, it is unlikely if the mismatch is small. However, it can result in inaccurate measurements and reduce the lifespan of the equipment. It is important to ensure proper impedance matching to avoid any potential damage.

4. Are there any techniques for achieving impedance matching?

Yes, there are several techniques for achieving impedance matching between a hydrophone and a DAQ. These include using matching transformers, attenuators, and impedance matching networks. It is also important to use high-quality cables and connectors with proper shielding to minimize impedance mismatch.

5. Can I use the same impedance matching technique for all types of hydrophones and DAQs?

No, the appropriate impedance matching technique may vary depending on the specific type of hydrophone and DAQ being used. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications and guidelines for optimal impedance matching for your specific equipment. Additionally, the frequency range of the signal being measured may also affect the impedance matching technique used.