1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impedance of practical Capacitor

1. Dec 9, 2013 #1
    A practical capacitor can be modeled by an ideal capacitor in parallel with a resistor.Find the impedance of practical capacitor at the radian frequency ω=377rad/s.Known C1=0.1 x 10^-6F R1=1 *10^6.

I am first determining the Z, by adding the impedance of resistor and the capacitor in parallel.
    And I am getting Z1(377)=10^6/(1+j37.7)= 2.6516*10^4 ∠-1.519 However book solutions gives ∠-1.5443.I would like to get some help about where my mistake is,or how should I approach the question. I know that finding the angle we should do θ=arctan(y/x) where y is the imaginary part and x is the real part.Hope I was clear and did not complicate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I can confirm the solution of the book. How did you calculate -1.519? Maybe just a rounding error?

4. Dec 9, 2013 #3
    I was using the degree mode, I should have used the radian angle unit one

5. Dec 9, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Don't post the same problem in multiple threads. I am closing this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook