1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic AC Circuit Question on Equivalent Impedance

1. Aug 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If R1 = 2 Ω, X1 = 1 Ω, R2 = 2 Ω, and X2 = -2 Ω , the equivalent impedance Zeq (in ohms) at terminals a and b is:

(the circuit diagram is attached to this post)

ac circuit.png

a. 3 + j 0
    b. 3 + j 2
    c. 3 - j 2
    d. 0 - j 2
    e. 0 + j 2

The answer is a. I have no idea how to get the answer. I have tried to simplify the circuit but I do not think I am doing it right.

2. Relevant equations

Series: Zeq = Z1 + Z2
    Parallel: Zeq = (Z1*Z2)/(Z1 + Z2)
    Total Impedance is Z= r +jX
    Zc = -jXc
    ZL = j(XL)

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to:
    1. combine R2 and and the capacitor in parallel (i think my errors occur here) i got (2+j) + (-4j/(2-2j))
    2. combine R1 and the inductor in series (i got 2 +j1)
    3. combine the rest in series.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It looks like the result you have to step 1 already includes R1 and the inductor. It is, in fact, correct and simplifies to the correct answer for the problem. For just R2 and the capacitor, the impedance is given by the second term.

4. Aug 28, 2013 #3
    Thanks for pointing out my mistake. So when I try to simplify (2+j) + (-4j/(2-2j)), I am getting a fraction. How do I simplify this correctly? and what happens if there is a j^2.

5. Aug 28, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

First, ##j^2 = -1##. You want to get j out of the denominator of the second term. The standard technique would be to multiply the top and bottom by the conjugate of the denominator, i.e. by ##\frac{2+2j}{2+2j}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted