I understand. Normally, I'd advise you to work out the internal resistance of the solar cell, but this may be tricky as this probably varies based on the ambient light and load (I am not a specialist in photovoltaics).
In this case, assuming you have, say, a lamp or something which will give you near constant irradiance, you can use a decade resistor box and measure the voltage across the connections as you vary the load (I recommend the decade resistor instead of a potentiometer as it can usually dissipate more power and is more precise within decades).
Actually, I'm not sure whether or not they still make decade resistor boxes. A Google search for decade resistor box turns up many hits, so I'd assume that they still do.
EDIT: If those are two rich for your blood, or of insufficient power dissipation, I'd suggest making a guesstimate as to the power output of the panel, and then buying appropriately-sized power resistors (e.g. 10 W, 1 ohm) I doubt that it'd happen, but the worst-case scenario is that one of your resistors would start on fire (but only if it's grossly undersized: e.g. 1/4 W resistor dissipating 5 W--so do it on something that won't start on fire!)
Also, if you're at a university, ask around; someone's bound to have one (especially if you have a Physics or EE department)