1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implementing Logic Using Conventional CMOS Logic

1. Feb 20, 2016 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This question has several parts, and I'm confused about some of them.

Consider ##Z = \overline{(A + B \bar{C})D + E \bar{F}}##. Assume primary and inverted inputs are available.

A) Implement the function in conventional CMOS logic style such that only 4 transistors are connected to the output node, and the PMOS and NMOS transistors with input "A" are attached to ##V_{DD}## and ground (by their source), respectively. Assume all PMOS have ##W/L = 15## and all NMOS have ##W/L = 6##. Place a ##50 fF## load capacitance at the output.

B) and C) I had no problem with.

D) Calculate the worst-case rising and falling propagation delays. Only consider the load capacitance and ignore the internal capacitances.

E) No problem.

F) Calculate the best-case rising and falling propagation delays. Only consider the load capacitance and ignore the internal capacitances.

G) Design the same circuit for equal rising and falling delays of ##100 ps##. Provide two sizing solutions and indicate ##W/L## of the transistors on the circuit. Identify the better solution with a reason.

2. Relevant equations

##D_r = \frac{C_L V_{DD}}{2 I_P}##
    ##D_f = \frac{C_L V_{DD}}{2 I_N}##

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 3.17.48 PM.png

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is my work so far:

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 3.11.04 PM.png

I want to know if my answer to part A) looks okay.

I know the answers to B) and C) are correct.

D) To find the worst case delay, I have to consider the longest critical path or something along those lines. I am unsure how to do this question.

E) This question is doable if I can solve D) and so I wont need to talk about it.

F) The best case delay means all the paths are active at the same time. I am still unsure.

G) I will get to this.

If part A) looks okay, I need some help with part D).

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2016 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I did some research and I found these important facts:

- Designing a conventional CMOS circuit means a PMOS pull-up network and an NMOS pull-down network must be constructed.
    - The PMOS pull-up network and NMOS pull-down network must be complements of each other.
    - The PMOS network must have the AND terms in parallel and the OR terms in series.
    - The NMOS network must have the AND terms in series and the OR terms in parallel.

Using these important facts, I designed this much simpler looking circuit, which I believe is what I am looking for:

IMG_1103.jpg

I hope that circuit looks okay now. I used both the primary and inverted inputs, and I believe I met the criteria. P.S: I didn't label the sizes.

Now part D) makes more sense to me.

For ##D_{rising}##, I need to consider the longest path through the PMOS transistors (there are four such paths at a first glance). I should compute ##W_P## from the minimum of the four widths along each path (using the result ##W_P = 1.35 \mu m## from part B)), and then use that to calculate ##I_P##. From there I can calculate ##D_r##.

Similarly, for ##D_{falling}##, I need to consider the longest path through the NMOS transistors (there are two such paths at a first glance). I should compute ##W_N## from the minimum of the two widths along each path (using ##W_N = 0.54 \mu m##), and then use that to calculate ##I_N##. From there I can calculate ##D_f##.

Part E) is quick.

For part F) I need to consider the best case delays, so I consider the circuit when all the paths are conducting. Then I should follow the same process as in part D), but there are only two widths to consider instead of six. I should use ##W_P = 1.35 \mu m## and ##W_N = 0.54 \mu m##.

For part G) I should use an equivalent inverter from the start and use the given delays to compute the respective currents. Then I should take those currents and compute ##W_P## and ##W_N##. Then I need to design the same circuit from A) using these new widths, but I need to make sure I design it so the PMOS network transistors can reduce to the equivalent inverter PMOS. Similarly, I need to make sure the NMOS network transistors can reduce to the equivalent inverter NMOS.

If that all sounds reasonable, I can relax.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted