Timing diagram of flip flop and d-latch

In summary: The q_keith is only triggered when the input is at 1. This is because the level sensitive latch will change the state of the output D solely based on the level of the input.5) I know a tri-state buffer "buffs" the current ( hence the name - unless I'm wrong). But how do you know whether or not "the output bus when it is in the high impedance"? Does it just mean when the output is 1?A tri-state buffer just means that the buffer has three states. In this case it is tri-state because when the output bus is high impedance, it means that the output is at its tri-state value.6)Why
MarcL
Tried using the template, had to put pictures because this concerns a diagram question! sorry guys!

1. Homework Statement

Consider the circuit shown in the figure below which consists of a positive edge triggered flipflop with selective load capability (identified as MICK) and a level sensitive D-type latch (labelled as KEITH). There is an input bus (consisting of a single wire) , an output bus, and two tri-state buffers. Complete the timing diagram which is included at the end of this question. Indicate in the provided timing diagram the behavior of the output of the flip-flop and the latch (q_mick and q_keith) as well as the behavior of the output bus between the indicated “start” and “end” times. Use the symbol “Z” to denote the state of the output bus when it is in the high impedance (tri-state value). In the given diagram, it is assumed that the initial value of q_mick is logic ‘0’ and that the initial value of q_keith is logic ‘1’. Note also that the timing diagram intentionally contains a fatal design error. You are to explain in words the nature of this design error. Use the word “FIRE” in the appropriate place in the timing diagram to indicate the state of the output bus at the interval in time during which the design error occurs.

Diagram:

s59dNx5.png

Timing diagram to complete:

MNcOQZf.png

Answer ( which I do NOT understand, the answer itself and don't even get me started on the handwritting! haha):

8cZdxnU.png

Homework Equations

I really don't think I need equations in this problem

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't even answer the question, not even a bit, I have so many questions concerning the question itself:

1) positive edge triggered flipflop with selective load capability --> what is that? I mean it is triggered on rising edge but selective load capability? I don't know what that stands for.

2) level sensitive D-type latch --> I know what a D-type latch is but "level sensitive"? I mean I've never hear of that too ( is it even relevant to the problem?)

3) Also if MICK is positively triggered, why doesn't it fall on the falling edge of the clock?

4) As for the q_keith, why is it only triggered when the input is turned to 1? I thought, again it would trigger with the clock ( I have a feeling I'm mixing up a concept here)

5) I know a tri-state buffer "buffs" the current ( hence the name - unless I'm wrong). But how do you know whether or not "the output bus when it is in the high impedance"? Does it just mean when the output is 1?

6)Why can't en_mick/keith be both enabled at the same time? I thought they are both different output so they can behave differently.

7) what on Earth is id_mick? Is it even relevant to the question?

Sorry for the long question guys

Physics news on Phys.org
I have changed the order of your questions to make it easier to understand..

MarcL said:
1) positive edge triggered flipflop with selective load capability --> what is that? I mean it is triggered on rising edge but selective load capability? I don't know what that stands for.

The selective load signal tells the latch to use or ignore the rising edge of the clock. With selective load =1 the D input is sampled on the rising edge. If selective load =0 the latch ignores clock edges and Q stays at the last value regardless of changes to D.

7) what on Earth is id_mick? Is it even relevant to the question?

That's the selective load signal for Mick. Edit: I believe it's "ld_mick" short for "load_Mick" (not "id").

2) level sensitive D-type latch --> I know what a D-type latch is but "level sensitive"? I mean I've never hear of that too ( is it even relevant to the problem?)

The difference..

Edge Triggered latches: With an edge triggered latch the input D is sampled and let through to the Q output on the rising edge. You have to maintain or hold the D input for a short time after the rising edge. This is called the hold time but after that changes to D do not effect Q.

Level triggered: With a level triggered latch the Q output follows changes to the D input any time the clock is high. So D is let through to Q on the rising edge but you have to maintain the D input until the clock goes low again or Q will change.

3) Also if MICK is positively triggered, why doesn't it fall on the falling edge of the clock?

Because the selective load signal ID_Mick is only =1 for the first rising edge of clock. After that its=0 which means no change. See Q1.

4) As for the q_keith, why is it only triggered when the input is turned to 1? I thought, again it would trigger with the clock ( I have a feeling I'm mixing up a concept here)

Kieth is level triggered. See above. So the Q output = In_bus any time clk is high. When clk is low changes to In_bus are ignored and Q is stays unchanged.

5) I know a tri-state buffer "buffs" the current ( hence the name - unless I'm wrong). But how do you know whether or not "the output bus when it is in the high impedance"? Does it just mean when the output is 1?

The output of a tristate buffer can be either 0, 1 or Hi Z (hence tri or three state). The output is Hi Z when the enable signal is inactive. In other words when en_Mick = 0 that buffer is Hi z.

6)Why can't en_mick/keith be both enabled at the same time? I thought they are both different output so they can behave differently.

There might be times when Q_Mick = 1 and Q_Kieth = 0. What would happen if they were connected together? A FET in Mick is pulling up and a FET in Kieth is pulling down. Result is a "short circuit" between the supply rails. Well ok it's not exactly a short circuit as FETs still have some resistance when on but you get the idea. Edit: Do you see why the problem statement says to write "FIRE" on the timing diagram :-)

Last edited:
Likes Merlin3189
An example of how the selective load might be used...

Suppose you were designing a microprocessor using latches to build several 8 bit registers. Let's say the Arithmetic and Logic unit has done a calculation and the result is on the in_bus which is connected to the D inputs of all the registers. You then need some way to control which register the result is stored in. Some bits of the instruction might be used to tell the logic which register that is. Those bits would be decoded and used to generate the selective load signal for the corresponding register. On the next rising edge of the clock the result is stored in the selected register. All the other registers would ignore the new data and maintain their previous values.

1. What is a timing diagram of flip flop and d-latch?

A timing diagram of flip flop and d-latch is a graphical representation of the sequence of events that occur when a flip flop and d-latch are used in a circuit. It shows the input and output signals, as well as the timing relationships between them.

2. How is a timing diagram of flip flop and d-latch useful?

A timing diagram of flip flop and d-latch is useful in understanding the behavior and operation of these components in a circuit. It allows for the analysis of signal propagation and can help identify timing issues that may affect the overall performance of the circuit.

3. What are the main components of a timing diagram of flip flop and d-latch?

The main components of a timing diagram of flip flop and d-latch include the input signals, output signals, and the clock signal. The input signals represent the data being fed into the flip flop and d-latch, while the output signals represent the resulting data after the clock signal triggers the flip flop and d-latch.

4. How is a timing diagram of flip flop and d-latch different from a regular logic diagram?

A timing diagram of flip flop and d-latch is a specific type of logic diagram that focuses on the timing relationships between input and output signals. It is different from a regular logic diagram, which only shows the logical relationships between inputs and outputs.

5. Can a timing diagram of flip flop and d-latch be used to optimize circuit performance?

Yes, a timing diagram of flip flop and d-latch can be used to optimize circuit performance. By analyzing the timing relationships between signals, potential timing issues can be identified and addressed, leading to improved circuit performance.