Implicit Differentiation and product rule

In summary, implicit differentiation with partial derivatives involves using the product rule to find the derivatives of each term with respect to the given variable, and then solving for the partial derivative of the desired variable by setting the remaining terms equal to zero. This may result in multiple terms with the same variable, but this is due to the product rule and does not change the overall equality.
Loupster
Hi,

So, I am reviewing Cal III, and I have come across something that I do not understand regarding implicit differentiation with partial derivatives:

x^3 + y^3 + z^3 + 6xyz = 1

implicit differentiation of z with respect to x:

3x^2 + 3z^2(dz/dx) + 6yz + 6xy(dz/dx) = 0

*notive the (dz/dx) are partial derivatives, not regular derivatives

What I do not understand is that there are two '6xyz' derivatives. I understand how 6yz was formed, because it is wrt x, and the 6xy(dz/dx) because that is how the implicit part works, I believe. However, I do not understand how you can just add the variables twice, it seems like that would change this entire equality. . . ?

Any help would be great!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That comes from the product rule.
(6xyz)'=6(x)'yz+6xy(z')
where x'=1, but z' stays around

What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly defined in terms of one variable. This means that the dependent variable is not isolated on one side of the equation, making it difficult to use basic differentiation rules.

How is the product rule applied in implicit differentiation?

The product rule is applied in implicit differentiation by taking the derivative of each term in the function separately and then multiplying them together. This allows us to find the derivative of a product of two functions that are not explicitly defined in terms of one variable.

What is the difference between implicit and explicit differentiation?

The main difference between implicit and explicit differentiation is that implicit differentiation is used for functions where the dependent variable is not explicitly defined in terms of one variable, while explicit differentiation is used for functions where the dependent variable is isolated on one side of the equation.

When should I use implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation should be used when the given function is not possible to differentiate using basic differentiation rules, such as when the dependent variable is not explicitly defined in terms of one variable. It is also useful for finding the derivatives of functions with more than one variable.

Are there any limitations to using implicit differentiation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using implicit differentiation. It can only be used for functions with one dependent variable, and it may not always give an explicit expression for the derivative. It also requires a good understanding of basic differentiation rules and algebraic manipulation.