1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit Differentiation for a 2nd Derivative

1. Feb 24, 2013 #1
    Hello! As of right now (10:13 PM), I've tried 9 combinations of points to solve this problem. It's a WebWork-based problem that's due in about an hour in a half. Any help would be very, very appreciated.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was given this equation: ##ln(2y) = 2xy## and was asked to find the first and second derivative from implicit differentiation.

The first is ##2y/(y^-1-2x)##

The second is ##4 y^3 (-3+4xy)/(-1+2xy)^3##

These are both correct according to WebWork.

Now, for the final part of the problem, it wants me to find ##d^2y/dx^2 = 0## at ##(x,y) = (?, ?)##

3. The attempt at a solution

- 3/(4x) was what I thought the right solution because it makes the numerator equal to zero, but WebWork wants only answers without variables
    - Setting ##4 y^3 (-3+4xy)/(-1+2xy)^3## equal to zero and attempting to separate variables. Unsuccessful attempt.
    - Messed around with WolframAlpha... also unsuccessful.
    - Talked to friends in higher levels of math. No fruits either.

Could someone smarter than I provide some advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'll give it a whirl anyway.

You're correct in that y'' = 0 when y = -3/(4x) .

Parametrize that. Let x = a, then y'' = 0, at (x,y) = (a, -3/(4a)) .

(There is another set of solutions too.)

4. Feb 24, 2013 #3
    Hmmm... no dice.

I tried (a, -3/(4a)), (1, -3/(4)), (2, -3/(8)), (-1, -3/(-4)), etc. Didn't work.

Here's a screen cap of the problem - http://i.imgur.com/k5XsDH6.png - if that can be of any help.

5. Feb 24, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Of course, with (a, -3/(4a)), you must not include x = 0 , i.e. you can't have a = 0.

Also, what is the second derivative if y = 0 , no matter the value of x ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted