1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit Differentiation (for a normal derivative) with Multivariable Functions

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

z[itex]^{3}[/itex]x+z-2y-1=0
    xz+y-x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+5=0

Define z as a function of x, find z'.

2. Relevant equations

I guess the two equations above...

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I just differentiated the first one with respect to x and got:

3z[itex]^{2}[/itex]xz'+z[itex]^{3}[/itex]3+1=0
    z' = [itex]\frac{-1-z^{3}{3z[itex]^{2}[/itex]x}[/itex]

If I differentiate the second equation, I get something completely different...

z+xz'-2x=0
    z' = [itex]\frac{2x-z}{x}[/itex]

I'm sorry if I typed some of my work above wrong, but the main reason I'm stuck on this question is: I don't even see why I need the two equations to solve this problem

Thanks in advance to you guys.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, paul2211! :smile:

Your variable y is a function of x and z.
    As such you need to consider it as well when differentiating.

Note that in this case you can use your second equation to eliminate y altogether.

Btw, you appear to have made at least one type when differentiating the first equation.

4. Nov 11, 2011 #3
    Thank you for your quick reply Serena.

So does this mean y = y(x, z(x))?

If so, and I somehow couldn't cancel the y between the two equations, wouldn't I have [itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}[/itex], [itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dz}{dx}[/itex] to solve for?

Since I would only have two equations, does this mean I can't solve for [itex]\frac{dz}{dx}[/itex] if I didn't have the insight to cancel out the other variable? (y in this case).

5. Nov 11, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Yes and yes.

If you didn't cancel y beforehand, y will probably cancel itself as long as you apply the proper derivative rules.
    It's just less work to cancel y beforehand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook