Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Implicit Differentiation Problem

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known datax[tex]^{}2[/tex](x-y)[tex]^{}2[/tex]=x[tex]^{}2[/tex]-y[tex]^{}2[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I can get this far: x[2(x-y)(1-dy/dx)]+2x(x-y)=2x-2ydy/dx

Any small hint as to where to go from here would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2007 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the question?
    You posted an equation,
    [tex]x^2(x - y)^2 = x^2 - y^2[/tex]
    (and the way you posted it makes me wonder why you did just the superscript in LaTeX which didn't really make it a superscript anymore :smile:) and then went on to write a differential equation. :confused:

4. Oct 7, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

I assume, CompuChip, that the actual problem was in the title: "implicit differentiation problem". That is, to use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx when [itex]x^2(x-y)^2= x^2- y^2[/itex].

Mathos, it's a real good idea to actually state the problem in the post!

You say you have differentiated to get x[2(x-y)(1-dy/dx)]+2x(x-y)=2x-2ydy/dx (warning: I did not check that!) Now you want to solve that equation for dy/dx. Since differentiation is "linear", that is always a simple linear equation in dy/dx. Go ahead and multiply the left side to get -2x(x-y)dy/dx and add 2y dy/dx to both sides to isolate dy/dx. The divide by its coefficient.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2007
  5. Oct 16, 2007 #4
    Your not supposed to give the answer right away. Your supposed to give clues to how to do it. Ever hear the phrase Give a man a fish; you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish; you feed him for life.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook