1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit Differentiation Problem

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known datax[tex]^{}2[/tex](x-y)[tex]^{}2[/tex]=x[tex]^{}2[/tex]-y[tex]^{}2[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I can get this far: x[2(x-y)(1-dy/dx)]+2x(x-y)=2x-2ydy/dx

Any small hint as to where to go from here would be much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the question?
    You posted an equation,
    [tex]x^2(x - y)^2 = x^2 - y^2[/tex]
    (and the way you posted it makes me wonder why you did just the superscript in LaTeX which didn't really make it a superscript anymore :smile:) and then went on to write a differential equation. :confused:
  4. Oct 7, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I assume, CompuChip, that the actual problem was in the title: "implicit differentiation problem". That is, to use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx when [itex]x^2(x-y)^2= x^2- y^2[/itex].

Mathos, it's a real good idea to actually state the problem in the post!

You say you have differentiated to get x[2(x-y)(1-dy/dx)]+2x(x-y)=2x-2ydy/dx (warning: I did not check that!) Now you want to solve that equation for dy/dx. Since differentiation is "linear", that is always a simple linear equation in dy/dx. Go ahead and multiply the left side to get -2x(x-y)dy/dx and add 2y dy/dx to both sides to isolate dy/dx. The divide by its coefficient.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  5. Oct 16, 2007 #4
    Your not supposed to give the answer right away. Your supposed to give clues to how to do it. Ever hear the phrase Give a man a fish; you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish; you feed him for life.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?