1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Importance of CS courses to math majors

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    Hi all, I'm a honors math student in my second semester right now. I was just wondering how important it is to take programming/CS courses as an undergrad if you are majoring in pure math. I took an introductory java programming course last semester and really enjoyed it and did extremely well. I took the follow-up course and its been less than two weeks and I already feel like this course is beyond me. I was thinking of dropping this course since (a) I have some rather challenging courses this semester including introductory analysis and physics, etc., (b) I am worried this class will kill my GPA and my confidence and (c) The CS course is purely an elective. I was planning to do a minor in CS since I got the impression it made math majors more employable. Now, I'm not so sure about the minor. So, really how important are CS courses for my future if
    1.) I decide to go to grad school; or
    2.) I decide to become a statistician or some sort of applied mathematician.
    While we are at it, can someone please give me good advice on what sort of jobs a pure math major can expect to obtain in the US/Canada(apart from going to grad school, that is). I'm really confused about whether to switch into something like statistics just because the job prospects look better.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2012 #2
    Can you give us a course description for the course you are taking now?

4. Jan 17, 2012 #3
    Here's the official course description:
    Object-oriented programming. Abstraction principles: information hiding and encapsulation. Linked lists, stacks, queues, binary search trees. Iterative and recursive processing of data structures. Virtual machines.

Also, I actually did some OOP in the previous course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook