Improper double integral over R2

In summary, the homework statement is that the integral from -∞ to +∞ of e^(-x^2) is equal to the square root of Pi. The attempt at a solution is to use a change of variables to simplify the equation to e^-(2x^2-2xy+2y^2) = e^(2xy-2x^2-2y^2). The final result is Pi/root(3).
theneedtoknow

Homework Statement

Recall that the integral from -∞ to +∞ of e^(-x^2) is equal to the square root of Pi. Use this fact to calculate the double integral of e^-(x^2 + (x-y)^2 + y^2) dx over the entire region R2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if it's even the right thing to do, but what's in the brackets simplifies to e^-(2x^2-2xy+2y^2) = e^(2xy-2x^2-2y^2)

Now to do the inner integral first, I will integrate with respect to x

I can use the propery of exponents to formt he integral from -∞ to +∞ of e^2xy * e^(-2x^2) * e^(-2y^2)

since y is a constant I can pull e^(-2y^2) and integrate just e^2xy * e^(-x^2)

However, this is where I get stuck...
I try to integrate by parts but that only gives me a more complicated integral to do, so I don't know if it's the right way to go. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you concentrate on trying to find a change of variables so that (2x^2-2xy+2y^2)=u^2+v^2 for u and v some linear functions of x and y? I.e. complete the square and use a jacobian to change the variables?

Last edited:
If I change variables, I still integrate the new variables over the entire r2 right? A linear transformation of R2 covers R2 always?

theneedtoknow said:
If I change variables, I still integrate the new variables over the entire r2 right? A linear transformation of R2 covers R2 always?

If it's linear and nonsingular, sure. And I think you can choose one that is.

Last edited:
Hey, Thanks a lot for the help!
I have never done this "completing the square" procedure below, so I had no idea what to do with it, but I did look up how to do it online and I played around with it for a while and in the end I think I found a u and v that work so that i get e^(-u^2 - v^2)

And in the end my integral came out to be Pi/root(3), which I hope is right :D

theneedtoknow said:
Hey, Thanks a lot for the help!
I have never done this "completing the square" procedure below, so I had no idea what to do with it, but I did look up how to do it online and I played around with it for a while and in the end I think I found a u and v that work so that i get e^(-u^2 - v^2)

And in the end my integral came out to be Pi/root(3), which I hope is right :D

That's what I get.

1. What is an improper double integral over R2?

An improper double integral over R2 is a type of integral that involves integrating a function over a region in the two-dimensional plane. It is called "improper" because the region of integration is unbounded or the function being integrated is undefined at certain points, making the integral challenging to solve using traditional methods.

2. How is an improper double integral over R2 different from a regular double integral?

The main difference between an improper double integral over R2 and a regular double integral is that the region of integration in an improper integral is unbounded, while in a regular integral, it is a finite region. This means that the limits of integration in an improper integral are infinite or undefined, making the integral more challenging to evaluate.

3. What are some examples of functions that require an improper double integral over R2?

Functions that have singularities or infinite domains are typical examples of functions that require an improper double integral over R2. These include trigonometric functions, logarithmic functions, and rational functions with polynomials in the denominator.

4. How do you evaluate an improper double integral over R2?

Evaluating an improper double integral over R2 typically involves breaking down the integral into two or more separate integrals and finding the limits of integration for each. Then, the integrals are solved individually, and the results are combined to find the overall value of the integral. In some cases, specialized techniques like substitution or integration by parts may also be used.

5. What are some real-world applications of improper double integrals over R2?

Improper double integrals over R2 have various applications in physics, engineering, and statistics. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, and probabilities of continuous functions. For example, they can be used to determine the probability of a particle's position in a given region or to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object with a curved surface.