1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper double integral over R2

1. Jul 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Recall that the integral from -∞ to +∞ of e^(-x^2) is equal to the square root of Pi. Use this fact to calculate the double integral of e^-(x^2 + (x-y)^2 + y^2) dx over the entire region R2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure if it's even the right thing to do, but whats in the brackets simplifies to e^-(2x^2-2xy+2y^2) = e^(2xy-2x^2-2y^2)

Now to do the inner integral first, I will integrate with respect to x

I can use the propery of exponents to formt he integral from -∞ to +∞ of e^2xy * e^(-2x^2) * e^(-2y^2)

since y is a constant I can pull e^(-2y^2) and integrate just e^2xy * e^(-x^2)

However, this is where I get stuck...
    I try to integrate by parts but that only gives me a more complicated integral to do, so I don't know if it's the right way to go. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why don't you concentrate on trying to find a change of variables so that (2x^2-2xy+2y^2)=u^2+v^2 for u and v some linear functions of x and y? I.e. complete the square and use a jacobian to change the variables?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  4. Jul 20, 2009 #3
    If I change variables, I still integrate the new variables over the entire r2 right? A linear transformation of R2 covers R2 always?

5. Jul 20, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it's linear and nonsingular, sure. And I think you can choose one that is.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  6. Jul 21, 2009 #5
    Hey, Thanks a lot for the help!
    I have never done this "completing the square" procedure below, so I had no idea what to do with it, but I did look up how to do it online and I played around with it for a while and in the end I think I found a u and v that work so that i get e^(-u^2 - v^2)

And in the end my integral came out to be Pi/root(3), which I hope is right :D

7. Jul 21, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's what I get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook