1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper integral using residues

1. Mar 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

integral of sech(x) from -Inf to Inf using residues.

2. Relevant equations

Calculate using: (2 Pi I) * Res[sech(x), "poles in upper half plane"]

3. The attempt at a solution

I used sech(x) = 2/[exp(x)+exp(-x)] to find a simple pole at z = (I Pi)/2 with a residue of -I. Then,

Result = (2 Pi I)(-I) = 2 Pi

As far as I know the answer should be Pi so I'm off by a factor of two. I can't find the mistake in finding the residue. Can anyone verify that the residue should be -I/2?

Let f(z)=g(z)/h(z), then residue of a simple pole z0 is g(z0)/h'(z0), no? (Assuming g(z0) != 0, h(z0)=0)

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can tell you what's wrong. i*pi/2 isn't the only pole in the upper half plane. i*3*pi/2, i*5*pi/2 ... are also poles. There's an infinite number. You need to make a more clever choice of contour.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  4. Mar 27, 2010 #3
    Ah you are right :( I approached this too quickly.

My hint from the prof is 'convert the integrand to a rational function by changing variables'

Either way I'm not sure exactly how to proceed now.

5. Mar 27, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, your professor gave you one suggestion, and I gave you another. I think they both will work. Pick one and try it. Here's a hint for my route. How are sech(x) and sech(x+i*pi) related?

6. Mar 28, 2010 #5
    So if I take a rectangle with height [itex]\pi[/itex] I'd enclose one pole at [itex]i\pi/2[/itex]. Something tells me the two side integrals should go to zero as rectangle width->inf and I'll get a multiple of my integral on the upper part.

So in this case [itex]sech(z) = -sech(z + i\pi)[/itex] and because of the opposite integration directions I'll get double my desired integral, which is why I have [itex]2\pi[/itex] in my OP instead of [itex]pi[/itex]?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  7. Mar 28, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's basically it. You mean a rectangle with height pi, right?

8. Mar 28, 2010 #7
    Yes, I meant Pi, sorry.

Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook