Complex Analysis Residues at Poles

In summary, the residue at z = 1/2 is -1/8 and the residue at z = -1/2 is 1/8. The function f(z) has simple poles at z = 1/2 and z = -1/2.
beefcake24

Homework Statement

Find the residue at each pole of zsin(pi*z)/(4z^2 - 1)

Homework Equations

An isolated singular point z0 of f is a pole of order m if and only if f(z) can be written in the form:

f(z) = phi(z)/(z-z0)^m

where phi(z) is analytic and nonzero at z0. Moreover,

Res(z=z0) f(z) = phi(z0) if m = 1

and

Res(z=z0) f(z) = phi^(m-1)(z0)/(m-1)! if m >= 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what I'm missing here, the problem seems really easy. I factored it to

z*sin(pi*z)/[(2z+1)(2z-1)]

so f(z) has simple poles at z = 1/2 and z = -1/2

For z = 1/2, we have f(z) = phi(z)/(z-1/2) where phi(z) = z*sin(pi*z)/(z+1/2)

Plugging in z = 1/2 in phi(z) I get a residue of 1/4.

Similarly, I get a residue of -1/4 at the pole of z = -1/2.

But the answer is -1/8 and 1/8 for the residues respectively, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
beefcake24 said:

Homework Statement

Find the residue at each pole of zsin(pi*z)/(4z^2 - 1)

Homework Equations

An isolated singular point z0 of f is a pole of order m if and only if f(z) can be written in the form:

f(z) = phi(z)/(z-z0)^m

where phi(z) is analytic and nonzero at z0. Moreover,

Res(z=z0) f(z) = phi(z0) if m = 1

and

Res(z=z0) f(z) = phi^(m-1)(z0)/(m-1)! if m >= 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what I'm missing here, the problem seems really easy. I factored it to

z*sin(pi*z)/[(2z+1)(2z-1)]

so f(z) has simple poles at z = 1/2 and z = -1/2

For z = 1/2, we have f(z) = phi(z)/(z-1/2) where phi(z) = z*sin(pi*z)/(z+1/2)

I do not see where your phi comes from. You seem to have done

[tex](2z+1)(2z-1)=(z+1/2)(z-1/2)[/tex]

which is not true. You are missing a factor 4 there.

Plugging in z = 1/2 in phi(z) I get a residue of 1/4.

Similarly, I get a residue of -1/4 at the pole of z = -1/2.

But the answer is -1/8 and 1/8 for the residues respectively, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Ohh haha that was stupid. Thanks!

1. What is a pole in complex analysis?

A pole in complex analysis is a point where a function becomes infinite. It is a singularity in the function, or a point at which the function fails to be analytic. Poles are important in complex analysis because they can help us understand the behavior of functions near these singular points.

2. How do you find the residue at a pole?

To find the residue at a pole, we first need to identify the pole by finding the roots of the denominator of the function. Then, we can use the formula for calculating residues at poles, which involves taking the limit of the function as it approaches the pole. The residue is the coefficient of the term with the highest power in the Laurent series expansion of the function around the pole.

3. What is the significance of residues at poles?

Residues at poles are important in complex analysis because they can help us evaluate complex integrals using the residue theorem. This theorem states that the value of a complex contour integral is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues of the function within the contour. Residues at poles also provide information about the behavior of a function near its singular points.

4. Can a function have more than one pole?

Yes, a function can have multiple poles. In fact, a function can have an infinite number of poles. This is because a function can have an infinite number of singular points, and each of these points can be a pole. The location and order of the poles can greatly affect the behavior of a function, so it is important to carefully analyze and understand the poles of a function.

5. How are residues at poles used in practical applications?

Residues at poles have many practical applications, particularly in physics and engineering. They are often used to evaluate complex integrals in these fields. In addition, they are useful in solving differential equations and understanding the behavior of systems with singular points. Residues at poles are also used in signal processing and control systems, as they can help predict the stability and response of these systems.