1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper integral using the Residue Theorem

1. Dec 13, 2005 #1

TD

Homework Helper

I'm trying to find

[tex]\int\limits_0^{ + \infty } {\frac{{\sin x}}
    {{x^3 + x}}dx} [/tex]

Since the function is even, I can compute it as

[tex]\frac{1}
    {2}\int\limits_{ - \infty }^{ + \infty } {\frac{{\sin x}}
    {{x^3 + x}}dx} [/tex]

To use the residue theorem, I construct a large semi-circle C with center O and radius R. To avoid the real singularity at x = 0, we construct another (small) semi-circle c with radius r. The closed path is then given by C + [-R,-r] + c + [r,R]. We then let R go to infinity and r to 0. So we have:

[tex]\oint {\frac{{\sin x}}
    {{x^3 + x}}dx} = \int\limits_C {\frac{{\sin x}}
    {{x^3 + x}}dx} + \int\limits_c {\frac{{\sin x}}
    {{x^3 + x}}dx} + \int\limits_{ - R}^{ - r} {\frac{{\sin x}}
    {{x^3 + x}}} dx + \int\limits_r^R {\frac{{\sin x}}
    {{x^3 + x}}} dx[/tex]

From the residue theorem, I found the LHS to be [itex]\pi \sinh 1[/itex], by applying the theorem to the only enclosed pole i.
    Then, taking the limits or R and r to inf and 0, I found the integral over C to be 0 and over c to be [itex]-\pi[/itex] which results in:

[tex]\int\limits_{ - \infty }^{ + \infty } {\frac{{\sin x}}
    {{x^3 + x}}} dx = \pi \sinh 1 + \pi [/tex]

Now that appears to be too large, does anyone know what mistake(s) I made or what I should do? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2005 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A couple mistakes, the integral over C does not go to zero and there's no pole at x=0, so the integral over c will go to zero.

It's probably easiest to replace sin(x) with [tex]e^{ix}[/tex], which is bounded in the upper half plane, making the integral over C much easier to deal with, though you'll now have a pole at z=0.

4. Jun 7, 2010 #3
    There is indeed a pole at z=0, by Jordan's... but you only need to worry about when doing exactly that kind of problem. If I'm not mistaken you have to set the LHS to Im(2*pi*i*Resi (eiz/(z3+z))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?